Chip ID

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by CircuitSurfer, Sep 19, 2009.

1. CircuitSurfer

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 19, 2009
    I looked all over trying to identify these chips but hit the wall. If someone can please tell me I would appreceate it.

2. rjenkins

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 6, 2005
    It appears to be a processor (or full custom chip) made by Macronix Semiconductor, with either program or function designed by General Instrument, as it has their copyright.

Macronix only advertise memory chips, but they make custom ICs for other companies - eg. they make some of the chips in the Nintendo Gamecube.
    More info here:
    http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/specialArt.cfm?artid=1800

Probably the only way you will get one is as a spare for whatever it was used in, if anyone sells them at all.

3. CircuitSurfer

Sep 19, 2009
    Do you think this chip can be reprogrammed? Is it an EPROM?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    That is not at all likely. Processors with internal EPROM always have a means of preventing either reading out the code, or reprogramming it. Even if you could get to it, it would not work as external memory to another device.

5. CircuitSurfer

Sep 19, 2009
    I was under the impression that I can use this chip instead of a PIC.

6. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Well, if you have the data sheet, the programmer, and so on, maybe. That depends on your being able to program the IC, and what external functions are possible without support chips for the I/O.

Life might be simpler with a Z80 or 6502, as they are still available, and so are the support chips. They have free assemblers, too. Check for the TASM online.