Chip dictionary

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
I think that could be a new chip dictionary, for the future. For now, its just an interactive program that when you select a chip it imediatly shows the diagram. However i do want the abillity to be able to show different chips at the same time.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
Have you considered having the SPICE model available with each IC?

That would make your program mighty popular.

Considering how much time I have put into searching manufactures sites looking for models.. If they were available in your program, that would be a goldmine.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
what is SPICE model?
Also if i sold this, i would sell it for £2.00. IF a company wanted to use it, £5 for a single machine license :)
If its cheap then people are more likely to use it :p

So far i have done 32 4000 series chips, looking good :)

Last edited:

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
SPICE models are the text files used in simulations.

They tell the simulator what the IC is "made of" schematically.

If you have ever used LTSpice or any of the other spice variants, they all use models for each IC.

I would recommend doing that. More and more people are simulating now a days, and adding the models to your database would be valuable.

Check this out:
http://www.linear.com/pc/productDetail.jsp?navId=H0,C1,C1003,C1042,C1113,P112210#simulateSection

It has the spice file for this particular IC on the description page so you can simulate the IC in a SPICE program.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
So how do you make a spice model of an IC. If it is not too difficult then i will get as many of my ic's include spice as well :)

The library included with my program needs to be updated so when i sell it, people can make libraries for it and submit them to me, if they are good enough you could get money for it :)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I would just download the models that are already available on the manufacturers websites.. Just like I had shown.

So, while you are already looking up the pinouts on the manufacturers sites, grab the spice models that are already there...for the ones that already have them.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
i have just added a print function that can print of the pin out :p
I will add a system where you can select the chips you want printing out and then it would print them out for you :)

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
You can now select different chips to print off and remove from the list :p
I love this program already :D haha
To me it certainly seems worth £2.00 :L

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The pinouts look alike as the ones I gave you in the link of post #6.
In the link there are also some truth tables added.
That will give you a quick idee how to use it.

Bertus

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Yeah i know they do, i admit defeat :p
But my program makes it easy to access but the truth tables, i will add them :)
(when i have the time)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
I have an "Engineers Pocketbook" (out of print now), but it is AWESOME for Logic ICs. It shows the outline of the package for the 74xx series and 4000 series.

The pins are numbered, but the beauty of the "outline diagram" is that internally, it shows the connections for each gate, with the gate symbol. Example, 7404 Hex Inverter has 6 triangles with dots on the point, and lines drawn from each inveter to the In and Out pins on the chip. Same thing for NAND gates, XOR, etc. The picture of the gate is extremely helpful when skimming through looking for one that might be what you want!

More complex IC's, such as counters and flip flops use the standard Box notation as used in schematics, but small version inside the IC, with lines drawn out to the pins.

I haven't seen another source that does this, I can scan a page if you want an example.

As for items to add: 10F-18F PIC and the Atmel AVR line of uC's, the 8051 and other uP/uCs, etc.

Analog items such as op amps, pointing out which are rail-rail is helpful too.

Is this mostly for digital IC's, or about all IC's made? Trying to do an "All IC's would be a rather huge and possibly infinite undertaking.

The other question is the inclusion of new BGA/QFN only items coming out for LED drivers, display drivers, etc. These essentially are unusable without some serious equipment for most hobbyists, but they are great to work with in design.

spinnaker

Joined Oct 29, 2009

here is a screen shot of the actual program, no fakes or anything
Looks really cool!

What is the right most column?

Not to get nit picky but it would be nice if the chip was actually drawn with graphics as opposed to text. But I am a programmer also and I know it can be a little challenging.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
A picture IS possible but i need to consider the time it would take to do that :p
I do have an idea and i might play with it today :)
The only problem is printing, if i had pictures it would be a little hard to print, maybe even impossible.

The right most column is the pinouts you want to print out.

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Just added a search function so lets say i type in 74244, imediatly it finds it :)
And if you hit enter it sends it to the print queue, This is JUST what i need and i think many if not all users here could benefit from im :)

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
It's a little late for a request, but...

Can the top/title be the description of the IC? Such as Hex Inverter, or "Quad NAND Gate", or "H-Bridge Driver" ?

Robin Mitchell

Joined Oct 25, 2009
Its comming along really well
Containg nearly the whole 4000 series, building on the 7400 series, many PIC chips, about to put in many op amps, loads of memory chips and a z80 for fun :p

It will be released in January 2011
Keep visiting ;)