Chinese Woman Reportedly Killed by Electric Shock from iPhone

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by t06afre, Jul 15, 2013.

1. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    DerStrom8 likes this.
  2. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
  3. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    +1
    Fake charger is a likely bet, but environmental details could be at play as well. Did the cat pee on it? Was it broken? Maybe she slipped her fingers onto the prongs when plugging it in. Maybe she had an aneurysm that had nothing to do with the iPhone - just coincidence. I hope they can figure it out.

4. monster_catfish

Mar 17, 2011
    Fake Apple iphone chargers abound in the phone shops of UK high streets, such that a special task force was set up to raid shops and sieze the offending chargers by the bag-full.

There was a TV program about them recently, in which it was disclosed that several homes have apparently gone up in flames across the UK, as a direct consequence of counterfeit Apple Iphone chargers spontaneously combusting while plugged in.

I pine for a simpler time, when smoke signals or homing pigeons were adequate modes of communication, but in the meantime I rely on an old-school cellphone that features NO features besides your basic voice and text modes.

#12 likes this.
  5. blueroomelectronics

AAC Fanatic!

Jul 22, 2007
    I've been following the same story on MacRumors plus I watched that video on EEVBlog. If you haven't seen what's inside a fake charger watch the video. In summary it's rubbish and dangerous plus it's not even close electrically to the genuine item.

Key word is "Reportedly"

6. t06afre

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    I agree, as I have problems understanding the current path. Also mains connected to the charger input would have fried the phone immediate. It can not be "live" and at the same time working

7. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Not if both poles of the charger's output are at mains voltage at the same time, with the return path being the alleged victim.

8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Nobody is disputing she is the victim, just what she is the victim of remains a mystery (iPhone charger, fake iPhone charger, stroke or other).

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    I also have a stupid phone, and yet, it took me 6 months to figure out that the little yellow symbol meant I had voice messages. LOL! I thought about changing my moniker to, "stuck in the '70's".

10. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    FWIW, the updates include news that the victim was a 23-yr old ex-flight attendant expecting to be married next month, and that she did indeed die of electrocution.

Once you've seen the tear-downs linked above, it's hard not to suspect an off-brand charger. Local officials may be reluctant to comment on that - there's no reason this simple fact should not have come out yet - since it was probably a charger made in....

11. DerStrom8

Feb 20, 2011
    I'm with the others in the opinion that it was likely a piece of cr@p charger. Dave at the EEVblog covered it very thoroughly, the potential is definitely there (no pun intended).

12. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    It's still speculation but the latest news is strongly suggesting the fake charger angle.

Interesting that the iPhone 4 survived, again suggesting that it did not see line voltage across it's input, but rather the whole thing was raised to line voltage.