chinese soldering iron

paddy mallett

Joined Nov 12, 2014
i have this soldering iron, and the element has blown, i have bought replacement elements but they are in chinese, can anyone tell me the proper wiring details, i dont want to blow it, there are 4 wires on the new element , but they are different colours from the 4 on the original.
new has red ,red, black and clear,
the old one is red, blue, clear , clear.
see pictures below, thanks for any helpC360_2016-07-12-19-00-36-393.jpg C360_2016-07-12-19-03-05-407.jpg C360_2016-07-12-19-04-19-911.jpg C360_2016-07-12-19-07-09-442.jpg

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don't have the component in my hand and never use that before and some of the explanation is not clear in Chinese, I already tried my best to translated to English.

C360_2016-07-12-19-07-09-442-chn.jpg

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

If you are not sure it might be best to measure the heater element as shown in the previous post, using an ohm meter. The heater will be higher resistance and the sensor much lower.

The heater connects to the two wires that generate about 24 volts ac in most soldering stations. So you might measure the leads of the soldering station itself too and find out which two put out around 24vac or so. You will then know where to connect the two wires that (above) measure the higher resistance.

I would guess that the two clear wires are the heater wires because they dont have any polarity because they are driven with AC or it just doesnt matter which way DC would be connected. The other two wires have to be polarized if that one has a thermocouple, but if a resistive sensor then it wont be either. So probably the red and blue are the thermocouple sensor, and the two clear are the heater wires, but check with an ohm meter to be sure.
Here are some pics of mine, front and back of board...

SolderingIronRepair-1.jpg SolderingIronRepair-3.jpg

Last edited:

paddy mallett

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Hi,

If you are not sure it might be best to measure the heater element as shown in the previous post, using an ohm meter. The heater will be higher resistance and the sensor much lower.

The heater connects to the two wires that generate about 24 volts ac in most soldering stations. So you might measure the leads of the soldering station itself too and find out which two put out around 24vac or so. You will then know where to connect the two wires that (above) measure the higher resistance.

I would guess that the two clear wires are the heater wires because they dont have any polarity because they are driven with AC or it just doesnt matter which way DC would be connected. The other two wires have to be polarized if that one has a thermocouple, but if a resistive sensor then it wont be either. So probably the red and blue are the thermocouple sensor, and the two clear are the heater wires, but check with an ohm meter to be sure.

View attachment 109124 View attachment 109125
thanks for the help, i will try that

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hi,

Also there may be a diagram on the web of the connector on the soldering station that shows the heater output and sensor input pins. Do a search see what you can find.

Seems to me i had the same problem when my element went bad. What i did was buy a WHOLE new soldering iron which is not expensive on some sites. That way you get a whole new iron too. You should also get at least one spare to go with it in case this happens again.

You also have to make sure the element is the right type for your machine.
There are two types that look similar but are very different.

Techno Tronix

Joined Jan 10, 2015
Only for information, Before a year I had used a real bended iron used off eBay on a Chinese knock off base/station and really happy with the output.

paddy mallett

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Only for information, Before a year I had used a real bended iron used off eBay on a Chinese knock off base/station and really happy with the output.
i have already bought 2 on ebay
waiting for them to come, but i have these elements and was looking to use them, no good them being wasted,
Hi,

View attachment 109124 View attachment 109125
the 2 red wires are the heater element, i hooked a 24v battery up to the red wires and it heated up, so i took a chance then and connected the other 2 wires , it heated up but temperature display did`nt work, so i changed the 2 wires over and it seems to have blown the element,

Last edited by a moderator:

MrAl

Joined Jun 17, 2014
Hello again,

What do you mean by "i changed 2 wires over"?

The other two wires are the sensor, so they may have to be reversed to get the sensor to work with the machine. But if the two red wires are the heater, then they should always go to the same two pins on the machine connector.

I hope you have the right element for your machine too.

paddy mallett

Joined Nov 12, 2014
Hello again,

What do you mean by "i changed 2 wires over"?

The other two wires are the sensor, so they may have to be reversed to get the sensor to work with the machine. But if the two red wires are the heater, then they should always go to the same two pins on the machine connector.

I hope you have the right element for your machine too.
aye it was the sensor wires i changed