Chicago is an example of how well restrictive gun ownership laws work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joined Nov 30, 2010

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
These same articles could have been written 20 years ago with the exact same headlines. The bottom line in Chicago is not guns, their control or even bad cops, it's total corruption from the bottom to the top.
http://chicago.suntimes.com/opinion/a-must-read-tells-how-corrupt-chicago-and-illinois-are/

JoeJester

Joined Apr 26, 2005
The average citizen was safer when the mob was in "control". They were the force that kept things from getting out of hand.
The "mob" didn't have "rights" issues to deal with. Violence was met with superior violence. Guess who came out the winner? The offenders didn't have any constitutional rights from those enforcers.

@#12 At first appearance, it doesn't bide well for those in blue, but you can bet those in Blue back in the roaring 20s were glad the let the mob handle their own affairs. Yes, it's vigilante justice, an no, I would not like this society to come to that. A nation of laws is lawless unless those laws are enforced. We become a society of "there ought to be a law" for every action, overwhelming any enforcement activity. The laws were passed to give the illusion that the political animals were "doing something."

I'll bet the political animals in the 40s vowed to never let something like Pearl Harbor happen again, yet it did.

The rules of the game differ between UFC, MMA, and the streets.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard.
H. L. Mencken

Chicago tops list of America's most corrupt cities for 4th straight year

People complain about various problems in Chicago such as gun violence and corruption, but I see NO evidence that the voters in Chicago want these things to change. They know what they want and they're getting it. One could argue - and of course many do - that law enforcement is acting against the will of the people.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
So post #44 was September of2016 and post #45 came along Monday November 6th 2023. It's a resurrection I tell ya.

Not hard to see and understand why law enforcement in many major cities is finding new career paths. I don't need to look at Chicago when I can look just beyond my own backyard here in Cleveland. Crime escalating totally out of control. A mayor who ran on a platform of scrutinizing every move the police make. Like the last mayor who managed to serve 3 terms and accomplished nothing in 12 years beyond his nice pension. People get what they vote for.

People need to stop blaming guns and start holding criminals responsible for their actions. Gun control laws accomplish nothing since criminals tend not to follow the law. Unless politicians manage to legislate morality nothing is going to improve. I just view gun control as using both hands to steady the gun and hitting what you aim at.

Ron

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The country is awash with guns because any Tom, Dick, or Harry is able to buy guns, including military type rifles with high-velocity bullets designed to turn the innards of anyone hit into mush, easier than it is to get a driver's license.
But I see no effective solution for that, due to the present interpretation of the second amendment, so we just live with the daily collateral damage of mass shootings, school shootings, gang shootings, road-range shootings, work-place shootings, etc .

I find it curious how all those saying the second amendment gives unrestricted rights to guns, totally ignore the first part of that amendment, since strict constitutionalists say we should always go back to the original meaning.

Last edited:

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
The first part is called a preamble ("sets the scene") to the the right of the people as citizens.
The Constitution itself starts with a preamble

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.
We were not and are not subjects of a King or government.

English Bill of Rights

And whereas the said late King James the Second having abdicated the government and the throne being thereby vacant, his Highness the prince of Orange (whom it hath pleased Almighty God to make the glorious instrument of delivering this kingdom from popery and arbitrary power) did (by the advice of the Lords Spiritual and Temporal and divers principal persons of the Commons) cause letters to be written to the Lords Spiritual and Temporal being Protestants, and other letters to the several counties, cities, universities, boroughs and cinque ports, for the choosing of such persons to represent them as were of right to be sent to Parliament, to meet and sit at Westminster upon the two and twentieth day of January in this year one thousand six hundred eighty and eight [old style date], in order to such an establishment as that their religion, laws and liberties might not again be in danger of being subverted, upon which letters elections having been accordingly made;

And thereupon the said Lords Spiritual and Temporal and Commons, pursuant to their respective letters and elections, being now assembled in a full and free representative of this nation, taking into their most serious consideration the best means for attaining the ends aforesaid, do in the first place (as their ancestors in like case have usually done) for the vindicating and asserting their ancient rights and liberties declare
Protestants may have arms for their defence suitable to their conditions and as allowed by law;
https://avalon.law.yale.edu/17th_century/england.asp

They had it and lost it.
Gun grabbers gotta grab. Nothing new here, move along.

Last edited:

Ian0

Joined Aug 7, 2020
Gun control laws accomplish nothing since criminals tend not to follow the law. Unless politicians manage to legislate morality nothing is going to improve. I just view gun control as using both hands to steady the gun and hitting what you aim at.
Britain has some of the toughest gun control laws in the world.
Gun related deaths are fifty-five times higher per capita in USA than in Britain.
Obviously no correlation whatsoever.

nsaspook

Joined Aug 27, 2009
Status
Not open for further replies.