Cheryl's Birthday

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Will start a new thread to avoid drift. See you in off-topic!
If you want, we can split off the relevant posts here and use them to start a new thread in Off Topic (I think the posters will lose credit for the posts if we do that, though).

Or we can just say that posts related to the issue of conveying various things in various languages should be made in the new thread you start over there and post a link here.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
If you want, we can split off the relevant posts here and use them to start a new thread in Off Topic (I think the posters will lose credit for the posts if we do that, though).

Or we can just say that posts related to the issue of conveying various things in various languages should be made in the new thread you start over there and post a link here.
I don't think we have to be fancy about it, manually moving posts and all - it's a trivial discussion, and non-electronic, anyway. Besides, I already created a new thread before seeing your message.

t_n_k

Joined Mar 6, 2009
@Roderick Young
Are you wanting others to post their reasoning in arriving at a solution or their thoughts on language, semantics and the awarenes of (sensitivity to) non-verbal cues that evolve in longterm relationships.

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Besides the unusual usage of tenses (well, to me), what actually confused me was: tells Albert and Bernard separately the month and day of her birthday respectively. (Yes, respectively. My bad)

I interpreted this as they both having the same information and not one the month and the other the date. My bad again.

Having later read the hint (right or wrong) from John P Anhalt made me to loose interest in the excercise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, but, but... still wondering how it would be in real life, if occurring with real people. Very different, I suspect.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Besides the unusual usage of tenses (well, to me), what actually confused me was: tells Albert and Bernard separately the month and day of her birthday respectively. (Yes, respectively. My bad)

I interpreted this as they both having the same information and not one the month and the other the date. My bad again.

Having later read the hint (right or wrong) from John P Anhalt made me to loose interest in the excercise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But, but, but... still wondering how it would be in real life, if occurring with real people. Very different, I suspect.
Oh, it's a contrived problem, no doubt.

But the logical reasoning that goes into solving it is actually quite common to real-world puzzles, particularly in troubleshooting systems. I imagine that crime investigators use similar deductive skills on a regular basis.

Roderick Young

Joined Feb 22, 2015
@Roderick Young
Are you wanting others to post their reasoning in arriving at a solution or their thoughts on language, semantics and the awarenes of (sensitivity to) non-verbal cues that evolve in longterm relationships.
Honestly, I have no expectations. I just came across what I thought was a fun puzzle, and thought I'd share it with you. I hadn't planned to post a solution, as it can be googled, but if someone was getting stuck and wanted just a small hint, they could of course ask and receive help the same as any other thread.

The language part of it was just a side comment that has very little to do with the puzzle, itself. I suppose I could have fixed up the English to be cleaner for the US, but I think it's precise enough to state the problem, mathematically.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010

When I actually read the solution elsewhere; I couldn't grasp how they could possibly conclude the Month and Day; I read it as a word problem and not a logical problem. So the and's in the sentence meant inclusive not exclusive and then the guys told separately.

For me the wording would have been better if Cheryl, separately told Albert the Month and Bernard the Day. The convolution is what throws me.

kv

Last edited:

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
When I actually read the solution elsewhere; I couldn't grasp how they could possible conclude the Month and Day; I read it as a word problem and not a logical problem. So the and's in the sentence meant inclusive not exclusive and then the guys told separately.

For me the wording would have been better if Cheryl, separately told Albert the Month and Bernard the Day. The convolution is what throws me.

kv
Let's say that, at least for me, it contributed to not understand the proposed problem. :oops:o_O:(;) ...and so many more...

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
Let's say that, at least for me, it contributed to not understand the proposed problem. :oops:o_O:(;) ...and so many more...
Good luck with your english; and I hope I'm able to tangle with Spanish so eloquently as you have with English.

My vocabulary words have increased since the addition of a couple API's on my phone and computer. :)

kv

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
Good luck with your english; and I hope I'm able to tangle with Spanish so eloquently as you have with English.

My vocabulary words have increased since the addition of a couple API's on my phone and computer. :) v
After a (bad) experience with a partner in my job, I confirmed that if you are not proficient in your own language, much less you could in a foreing languange. Believe me.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
atferrari Off-Topic 31
atferrari Off-Topic 11
MrChips Off-Topic 5
MrChips Off-Topic 12
MrChips Off-Topic 5