chemical industry?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mathematics!, May 11, 2013.

1. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Looking thru the Wikipedia under the chemistry compounds categories I can see there is 1000's or more of different chemicals out there and can be many more not listed there.

So my next thought is how do we have enough chemical places to create so many so fast... (are these like private labels)

Each chemistry would have to be pumping out a new chemical each day or week. Plus the safety testing factors of each I would like to lol that one.

Question 1
    What is the rate of how fast new chemicals come out?

Question 2
    Who has the equipment to do so and where are they located?

Question 3
    How necessary is it to create new chemicals ? I would only see it for researching ( incurable things / diseases ) and maybe for the joy of inventing a new material to benefit in some way or just plan curiosity.

Question 4
    I know there are 1000's of different chemicals but essentially from the wiki and chemistry books they seem to all fall under a dozen or so categories so my question is there must be a handful of combinations of process that create new chemicals since no one human could remember them all if they had individual machines/ process for each one.... this would normally out way the gain of creating them in the first places.

Question 5
    In the industry to create a material does one first go to a chemical manufacturer then go to a material manufacture or is it usually done all in one the material manufacturer is the chemical manufacturer.

Question 6
    How much of question 4 can be done by a home user even if the one home user was say for example some super best chemistry in the world . (not me that is not what I am getting at just curious take out the factor of how good a person is to just the number of people doing it equaling one.
    (provided the one guy knew all the information of all of chemistry to date ... How much could he create from scratch or what percentage of the chemicals/materials could he create from scratch to the amount the world can create from scratch)

Question 7
    Is there someway just by knowing the name of a chemical you can tell weather it is dangerous to inhale, ingest , or harmful to you in anyway before you create it.... I.E from the principles of chemistry is there a formula or 99% rule that will tell you if a chemical is dangerous by the name. It would be great if it was 100% but that ain't going to happen when we don't know all the variables of nature and we never will. I say stay away from the CO carbon monoxide , sodium hydroxide ,....etc

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  2. Metalmann

Dec 8, 2012
    When I first started out, I was dealing with a lot of bad acids/chemicals. At the time, we didn't know that someday; they would destroy our lungs.

Then, they started labeling the barrels. All kinds of hazards.

In a way, I have a hard on for chemical companies.
    Put it on the market, and worry about the consequences at a later date.

Just like asbestos.....and a Zillion other chemicals and compounds that are in our food, water, air, etc.

Rant off...for now.;):D

3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I cannot answer all the questions except for Question 7.

You have to know your chemistry.

As a simple example, NaCl or basic common salt is part of our diet and body and the oceans.
    Elemental sodium Na is very flammable. Chlorine Cl is a toxic gas. There is no rule or pattern to the toxicity of any element or combination of elements.

4. Mathematics!

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jul 21, 2008
    Ok , mathematically the number of ways to mix stuff is nearly infinity so
    Stands to reason they will always discover some new chemical/material.

But what about question 6 that is my biggest concern. How much more machinery does the major chemical industry companies have to what the best/expert one man homemade person can do? Can he create 90% of chemicals/materials .... 80% ....20% , .005% or what? ( guess this would be based on your believe to some extent but it still would be a good baseline to start with)
    Just trying to get a percentage of chemicals that can be homemade to the ones that only specialized machines that cost to much for one person to afford would be???

Another last question is how many of the chemicals/materials actually produced are used in retail products?
    Or maybe a more general based question off of the above one is what percent of the total number of new chemicals/materials are of any use past the point of experimental researchers. (i.e what is the rate of growth of new useful chemicals/materials )
    Is it 1 every year , 2 every ten days , or what is the rate of growth

Last edited: May 27, 2013