checking the OS!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Hi!

I was wondering if there's a software out there that can be used to check if your operating system (mine is windows 7 starter) is working correctly...no missing files or damage files and needs re-installing...?

Thanks!

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Yes there is, the windows installation disc itself has a file check function.

Problem is most people don't get a copy w/ the the pc.

Sometimes,you can contact the manufacturer and they will sell you a OEM disc at a very discount price.

Barring that, you can do this:

1. Open Computer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Computer.
  2. Right-click the hard disk drive that you want to check, and then click Properties.
  3. Click the Tools tab, and then, under Error-checking, click Check Now. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.
    To automatically repair problems with files and folders that the scan detects, select Automatically fix file system errors. Otherwise, the disk check will simply report problems but not fix them.
    To perform a thorough disk check, select Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors. This scan attempts to find and repair physical errors on the hard disk itself, and it can take much longer to complete.
    To check for both file errors and physical errors, select both Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors.
  4. Click Start.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
@ bertus: you are correct!!! And I was talking about the OS...
I'll have a look at your link!

Thanks!

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Come on now, I wouldn't steer you wrong.

Windows 7 has a integrated FILE checking ,and the instructions I listed will indeed do just that.
That is if you are looking for file system errors in the OS,it also dose a bad sector sweep as bertus suggested.

For another option that is a little more advanced,use the SFC/SCANNOW command from promt.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checker.html

Myself,I like to use chopped installs,so in case of failures using the disc is the best option.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
No worry luvv...your help was really appreciated!
I followed your steps...and apparently everything is OK...but then after the whole process I told myself...this is for the HDD (NOW you have cleared things up) then I saw bertus posting...+ google that led me to your link and I did the 'sfc/scannow'

Thanks again!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
But the real reason why I'm asking all these quests is because there's something I don't understand with my laptop (1.66 GHZ, 1GB RAM)...

I used to watch movies from my hard drive without problem but now it a problem...it freezes most of the time! And what I do is if I wana watch a movie, I first have to transfer that movie into a 'USB flash drive' and play it from there...and the movie plays without freezing..not even once!

What could be the cause for it!?

Thanks!

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
But the real reason why I'm asking all these quests is because there's something I don't understand with my laptop (1.66 GHZ, 1GB RAM)...

I used to watch movies from my hard drive without problem but now it a problem...it freezes most of the time! And what I do is if I wana watch a movie, I first have to transfer that movie into a 'USB flash drive' and play it from there...and the movie plays without freezing..not even once!

What could be the cause for it!?

Thanks!
I can only see the HDD possibly being the culprit if it's a very old 5400rpm IDE model.
And only if the files you are trying to play are HD/bluray files,only then could I imagine you are having disc buffer issues.

But w/o more info on the system and any driver packs all is speculation.
Try this lovely little program,http://www.piriform.com/speccy
and get back to me.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I have a similar program that I use 'EVEREST Ultimate Edition' ...

This program is WOW...it just gives you EVERY information...try this maybe it better than yours!

See attached! I got a small sreen...had to crop it...

Attachments

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Oh I even forgot to mention that I already have 'Piriform CCleaner' that I use for cleaning up windows file and applications!

I do have it! But I would say Piriform does some cleaning and fixing while Everest only gives diagnostics...

Last edited:

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
Oh I even forgot to mention that I already have 'Piriform CCleaner' that I use for cleaning up windows file and applications!

I do have it! But I would say Piriform does some cleaning and fixing while Everest only gives diagnostics...
Sweet, I recommended speecy because it's free,but Everest will do.

According to your screen,the HDD is @ spec(tho,it list 300MB as transfer speed and the spec quotes 3GB) so you can assume it's not the issue.

http://storage.toshiba.eu/export/sites/toshiba-sdd/media/products/datasheets/mk1665gsx_datasheet.pdf

A few other possibilities remain,start w/ the most likely,Players,Codecs.

Uninstall any codec packs you may have acquired like CCCP etc.

Install http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html

Try to play the file from HDD,if it locks again go to :

Control Panel>Administrative Tools>Event Viewer and look for any events that happen just prior to the hang.

And get back w/ me.

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
@ luvv: beautiful...I ll do that!

But one thing I realized is that it not only when watching movie...and the funny about watching movies is somtimes I can watch the first 30 minutes w/o locking and other time it starts right at the beginning...

I was saying it not only about movies...I noticed that sometimes the response time is NOT spontaneous...I mean immediate! For example you can click on the 'start' button and it will take 2 seconds to open or click whatever...or when typing on MS word it all good then all of a sudden the letters display with a delay (you were already done typing that word)

BTW, I ordered a netbook cooling fan (as heat is a suspect to me too), a 2GB RAM (to upgrade the thang), and a new CPU fan. I'll probably go fetch them tomorrow!

Thanks!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I haven't heard from u luvv...

I did not touch the codecs as you suggested...

I am 100% sure it has something to do with the CPU or something coz like I said it not ONLY 'playing movies'!! It like the CPU gets busy with 'something' every now and then and when its busy with 'that something' everything freezes for like 1-2 seconds!!!

It is so irritating that I'm about to throw this laptop against the wall!! I can't work I can't do ****!!! I'm so close to break it!

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
I been observing the cpu reaction (check attached) and I noticed that when the following are constant at:

Cpu: 1662.7 MHZ
Multiplier: x10

Then there's no blocking (freezing) but when its at:

Cpu: 997.6 MHZ
Multiplier: x6

It blocks for 2 seconds, I mean when the cpu and multiplier are oscilating between those two values...

What's going on coz I'm about to break this thang!

Attachments

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
I haven't heard from u luvv...

I did not touch the codecs as you suggested...

I am 100% sure it has something to do with the CPU or something coz like I said it not ONLY 'playing movies'!! It like the CPU gets busy with 'something' every now and then and when its busy with 'that something' everything freezes for like 1-2 seconds!!!

It is so irritating that I'm about to throw this laptop against the wall!! I can't work I can't do ****!!! I'm so close to break it!
Sorry been busy w/ all the Independence Day cookouts,family etc.

Ok,so you suspect you have something hogging resources, try disabling some un-used programs using the msconfig.exe command from the run promt.

http://www.howtogeek.com/74523/how-to-disable-startup-programs-in-windows/

Restart your pc and wait for it to happen again,if it doesn't then you can start re activating programs till you find the culprit..

You can also get a idea of the offending service/program by Ctrl+Alt+Delete>task manager>performance>resource monitor and wait for the glitch to show.

Let me know how it goes

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
It ok...and thanks for your post!

I been thinking about the same thing too...I been watching the 'processes' in Windows Task Manager...

And I ran CCleaner: tools --> Startup and here's (see attached) what I had got...but I was a bit scared to disable some of the things...

Well in the meantime I'll try doing what you suggested...thanks!

Attachments

Eric007

Joined Aug 5, 2011
Lol...your link also says this can be done with CCleaner...just like I did...
Well ima try disabling everything and see if any improvement then as you suggested re-enable one at the time to find the 'culprit'

Thanks!

luvv

Joined May 26, 2011
And from my attachement, which program(s) you think should NOT be disabled??
You are not going to hurt anything by disabling them.

I would just leave any security programs(that i don't see in the text) activated.
The thing is, any program can be started manually if needed,the startup file is just there to save you time and do things you should do but would probably forget.
I notice you have daemon lite,not saying it is any part of your issue,but i have had trouble w/ it in the past.