Check it! 3D printed guns

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Its gonna be an amazing time when we can print out car and gun parts on our printers. Just go buy the 3d model for $1.99 and print it out.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Bmorse if your building a Rostock I'll pay you to build me one with yours. That way you get yours for cheap and I don't have to mess with it.

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Bmorse if your building a Rostock I'll pay you to build me one with yours. That way you get yours for cheap and I don't have to mess with it.
apparently it is still a work in progress prototype that still has some bugs, but looks like most who have a working one seem to have worked most of them out... I will definitely be working on my version of one (since most of the firmware and controller circuits are still based on the Rep-Rap anyway), an I may open a thread here so people could follow my progress through trial and errors :)

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Well we need someone here with 3D if not CNC capabilities for our projects. That would help so many people out that need prototype peices but can't afford to go some place real. We should look into making a system for $1000-$2000 I can do that. And I could make hte money back in RC airplane and RC Heliframes in no time.

Sparky49

Joined Jul 16, 2011
Don't you guys have laws on the manufacture of firearms?

Be careful what you make, or you could feel the full force of the law.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008

In case you haven't noticed, Americans love our guns. It is the 2nd Amendment in our Constitution. I blame the British, we have a fundamental distrust of any government, including our own. It may be why we get into wars every 10 years or so, just to keep in practice.

As long as you don't sell them, almost anything goes (assault and full auto excluded). As for the plans, that is covered by our 1st Amendment.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
I understand you can own your own guys, but is the manufacturing of them controlled?
You need a license to manufacture and a seperate license to sell, if you sell them to the public. If you sell "more than a couple of guns a year" (read huge grey area) you are considered to be " in the business" which requires a "Class I" license. For automatic weapons, supressors, short barrel rifle/shotguns you'll need a "Class III" .
You name it and there's a license for it, along with a world of restrictions/laws
and paperwork. If you pawn a gun that you've owned for the past 20 years, to redeem it from pawn you need to complete a criminal background check, as if you were buying a new one.
I could go on.......

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009

The states many of us live in its against the law not to own a gun. So those from FL, TX, AL, TN etc.. need not worry too much.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If it is for your own use, I don't think you need a license, though I am not an expert.
Bills right. If you make one to sell you need a license, if you make 10 for someone else to sell you need a license. If you make it for youself for toad hunting no license is required.

gerty

Joined Aug 30, 2007
If it is for your own use, I don't think you need a license, though I am not an expert.
If you "manufacture" a firearm, or reciever(that's the part with the serial number) you must fill out a form and apply for a serial number from the BATF (Bureau of Alcohol Tobacco & Firearms). This is only valid only if you are making it for yourself. You must do this before you manufacture the reciever.
You do not want to get caught with one that has no serial number.

2 min late

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
well just to ease everyones mind, I plan on building a Rostock style 3D printer, and I doubt I will print any guns or parts thereof to sell or to use personally.... but I assure you that my first "print" job is gonna be a Tardis :)