Cheapest place to buy solid wire?

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
I am looking to buy solid hook-up wire, however I cannot find a cheap source. Mouser/digikey show surprisingly high prices. Any ideas? Looking to get large spools, 100+ ft.

Usually I am seeing crazy prices of like $6+ for a 100ft spool.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
I am paying more like $30 for 100' of 24 ga stranded. The price of copper is amazingly high after a couple of major mines played out.

If you need lighter gauges - 24, 26, or 28, check for telco wire with four or six wires in the cable. Check with bargain outfits like Hosfelt or Jameco.

My best source was to buy a big hunk of used multiconductor twisted pair cable and split out all the individual wires; all then drains were 22 awg. solid and the conductors were 22 awg stranded.

Regards, DPW

KL7AJ

Joined Nov 4, 2008
:D
My best source was to buy a big hunk of used multiconductor twisted pair cable and split out all the individual wires; all then drains were 22 awg. solid and the conductors were 22 awg stranded.

Regards, DPW
yep...I have a copper mine of the stuff...and with all the colors it makes it real easy to keep things straight>

(I've been hoarding copper AND lead solder for a few years now. :) I have "special" deals for AAC denizens. :cool:
:D

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
I checked out a store called abbottwire, 1000ft of 22ga is $17, but their web store isnt working.... might have to order with the skycraft place.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
KL7AJ, did you notice that 62/36/2 solder is cheaper than the lead-free?

Razor Concepts - their prices are great. Guess it's back to all one color of wire. Too bad they don't carry RG-58A/U.

Razor Concepts

Joined Oct 7, 2008
Interesting stuff going on. I emailed abbottwire and sent them my order and debit card info.

A few days later, I get an email from AWC wire, saying my order was shipped?? The attached order form matched what I wanted, and the right price. I clicked over to AWC wire, they had the same wire in stock, but it was $24 + shipping, but the receipt they attached was for the proper 17.9 from abbottwire.

Oh well, wire came today, shipped in an AWC box. I guess they are linked.