cheap led string light controller upgrade help

funkymonkey

Joined Apr 25, 2016
I bought a bunch of cheap/dangerous white led string lights with ek-04 mini controller
I have 10 of them and i'd like to change them to one control unit with a remote
the specs of each string is 10m/32', 100leds, 6w the string is broken into 3 groupings of lights
http://www.dx.com/p/white-100-led-c...ng-lights-10-meter-110v-ac-16201#.Vx6befl9670

I know I'm working with cheap strings but i'll probably only use them a few times
can i use a controller like this?
http://www.canadaledlighting.com/4a-rf-28-keys-remote-rgb-controller-5v-60w-p-7191.html

I still want to have all the different flash modes
Any help would be greatly appreciated
and yes i'm a complete newb with horrible grammer

JohnInTX

Joined Jun 26, 2012
Welcome to AAC!
Your post was moderated because of the nature of the LED wiring of the original unit. It is not readily obvious how the LEDs are driven by the cheapo controller but 100 LEDs per channel plus the small size of the controller along with the crappy plug implies a direct to mains affair. That sort of thing is forbidden here at AAC due to the associated hazards.
But maybe it's not. At any rate, the other controller looks like a better deal because it drives the strings at a lower, safer voltage. If you can measure the voltage at the original controller output, you can determine what the individual string voltage is. If its low i.e. 12-24V, you are in the ballpark. Keep in mind that some of these strings are wired in inverse parallel i.e. half of the LEDs light on the positive half cycle of the input power and the other half work on the negative half cycle. An easy way to tell is to shake the string under florescent lighting. If it seems to flicker or strobe, its half wave.

funkymonkey

Joined Apr 25, 2016
thanks for your help, i know these lights are dangerous hence why i would like to make them safe, looking at the circuit board i believe they are on the postive