Cheap ebay RF modules made easy... (and fast!)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by THE_RB, Apr 23, 2013.

1. THE_RB

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Hi, these crude carrier-only type RF modules can be bought very cheaply now from a number of online suppliers. (usually 433 MHz and 315 MHz modules).

I did some testing of the modules and show how to use them for simple USART comms between micro-micro or micro-PC USB.

I also tested the burst times and recover times etc, and tested transmitting a low frequency for people who might want to use these modules without microcontrollers.

[​IMG]

This kind of thing comes up from time to time on the forum, and although there are quite a few online projects using these modules those projects are usually pretty sketchy, usually just a schematic and some code.

I've tested the modules a little bit more indepth, and hopefully this may be of use to others. :)

Also I show a simple new data protocol to get much higher speed data transfer (and more data reliability). Source code is provided for that in C.

The project can be seen here;
    http://www.romanblack.com/RF/cheapRFmodules.htm

2. tshuck

Oct 18, 2012
    Thanks, Roman, I bought some of these modules years ago, only to realize I had no idea how to use them. After reading through your post, I'm thinking of digging those things out again.

3. Sue_AF6LJ

Mar 16, 2013
    That was a good write up.

4. THE_RB

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    Thanks guys. :)

Even without a microcontroller they seem to work fine with a pulsed input. So someone could use a 555 timer to modulate the transmittter at a certain frequency, and just a simple analogue circuit to detect that frequency at the receiver.

I know the "microcontroller" side can tend to put people off.