Cheap Continuity tester?

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by musicalavtech, Mar 19, 2016.

1. musicalavtech

Thread Starter Member

Mar 23, 2012
    What values of resister and led would work in series with a cheap tone generator, and a 9V? Only needed to check unpowered wiring circuits for shorts.

2. ISB123

May 21, 2014
    Sinus23 and #12 like this.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    9 volts, 1K, and an LED...in series.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Do you need the tone generator? Couldn't the LED serve as your indicator?

Are you testing points that could be damaged by 9V?

5. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    Many DVM's have an audible continuity checker.

The continuity checker I use most uses 2 AA batteries and a flashlight bulb. An added benefit is that it can check diode junctions and most LEDs. The last time I bought one they were a couple dollars.

6. musicalavtech

Thread Starter Member

Mar 23, 2012
    It's just for point-to-point wiring on a panel that is unpowered. To quickly check for shorts before powering up. I have a meter to use after powering up, to check voltages. I know 2 leads, battery, and buzzer is the super simplest, but I thought to add a led for noisier environments. I don't even need a switch.

#12 mentioned a 1k resistor, as long as a buzzer or other cheap audible would work.

Because the panels are good size, with no good place to set a meter, is why I want to use this.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2016

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Adding an LED in parallel with the buzzer will not stop the buzzer.

8. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    I have 2 continuity testers.

The simple one is an old Sonalert with a 9-volt battery. Shorting the leads powers it up. This is fine for cables that are not connected to anything. It also is a quick way to test LED's. I never use it in a circuit because of its high voltage and current.

The other continuity tester is more specialized. Since its open circuit voltage is less than a diode drop, it can safely be used in IC and transistor circuits. It only beeps if the resistance is less than about 100 ohms. This beeper is used to verify correct wiring of prototype circuits or to follow traces on a PCB.