charging 6V Bat.

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Abuello, Oct 25, 2013.

1. Abuello

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 16, 2012
    Hi Guys,
    I have a 12V battery tender and have a need to fully charge a 6V motorcycle battery. Is there a way I can modify the terminal cables to do this? This is my first 2 wheeler and have a 12V charger for my cars.
    Thanks for ideas.

Abuello

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    There's no simple option. A fast ghetto solution would be to place a lightbulb (a tail light, for instance) in series with the battery and charge thru the bulb. This would limit the current. You'd have to watch the battery voltage with a meter to avoid overcharge. Of course you could also use a second, identical battery in series.

You could build yourself a charger based on the LM317 regulator. That's probably the second easiest option.

3. Abuello

Nov 16, 2012
    Hi wayneh,
    Thanks for your thoughts. It might be easier to just get a 6V charger. But, my anal sense of making something out of sticks and steel caused me to start thinking along the lines of using home brew electronics. Perhaps, a resistor inline with each terminal clip?
    I'm not an electronic wizard, but, I can restore an old motorcycle......

4. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    You'd only need one, and then you'd have essentially the lightbulb solution I mentioned. It would limit current to a safe level but it would not allow your charger to properly charge the battery without over-charging.

A dedicated charger is your best (easiest, fastest, cheapest) bet, IMHO.

5. Abuello

Nov 16, 2012
    Yes, in the end, you're right. I'm of the mind to just get a 6V charger. Perhaps, a trickle unit for long term usage.
    Thanks for pointing me in a better direction.