Charger does not output enough current

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by theamber, Nov 13, 2009.

1. theamber

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 13, 2008
    Hello, a laptop charger does not output enough current to turn the laptop on. I just turn it on, stays on for a second and then it turns off. I tried a different charger and is ok.
    My question is could a charger that does not output enough current cause damage to any circuits is feeding? and why?
  2. SgtWookie

Jul 17, 2007
    The computer monitors the supply voltage. If it is not correct, it turns off to protect itself against damage.

If the supply voltage is much too high, say over 30v as a guess, it'll get damaged anyway; the overvoltage will stress the semiconductors beyond their design limits. It will probably be OK with under-voltage.
  3. theamber

Thread Starter Active Member

Jun 13, 2008
    The charger output the correct voltage (with a voltmeter)but does not power it another charger with higher current works fine.
    You mean that when the computer demans more current the voltage drops and below a certain threshold the laptop will shut down, therefore under current will not damage anything.
    Ok Thanks.
  4. bountyhunter

Sep 7, 2009
    The charger's output voltage will fall when the load (computer) draws more current than it can provide. You will then have an undervoltage fault and the computer switches itself off. There should not be any possible damage.