Changing forum software from vBulletin to Xenforo

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I can verify it is the same on Android using Chrome.

This doesn't seem like an extremely important issue, though, so I'd recommend jrap focus on other things first...
Thanks for the verification. I guess I'll have to be patient, because it makes navigating the forum as I'm used to extremely difficult. Having to scroll through long threads manually on a mobile device, cuts my forum time in half. I wasn't suggesting that analysis on all other bumps cease; I'm sure jrap can prioritize his efforts quite well!

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I hope that the new software is not more vulnerable to spam than the old.

I don't know if the moderators here were more vigilant or the old v-bulletin attracted less spam but this morning there was a spam attack, similar to what I have seen commonly on other forums but rarely if ever here.

All this extra rubbish makes a deal of unecessary work for moderators, who do an excellent job maintaining a cheerful and welcoming site.

Last edited:

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I also wonder if the old vBulleting software had managed to "build" an immune system through its extended spammer designations whereas now we'll have to build it again from scratch.
It doesn't bother me to wait for it again, as long as the functionality exists.

Rob, does XenForo have a semi-intelligent algorithm for automatic handling of potential spammer accounts?

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
I also wonder if the old vBulleting software had managed to "build" an immune system through its extended spammer designations whereas now we'll have to build it again from scratch.
It doesn't bother me to wait for it again, as long as the functionality exists.

Rob, does XenForo have a semi-intelligent algorithm for automatic handling of potential spammer accounts?
Xenforo has a great anti-spam system. New registrations are checked against the StopForumSpam database. Any suspicious accounts need to be manually approved or rejected.

For new users, their first few posts are scanned with akismet, and flagged for if they are deemed spam.

There are 3rd party spam prevention add-ons that I will look into right now.

@studiot - Thank you for your concern!

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Is there a way to leave the signature off specific posts?

Due to some changes in formatting on Xeno I am going to start using threads to post my articles again.

If someone needs a post inserted on their articles to expand the article that feature is also available with Xeno for the moderators (you have but to ask), which is the only reason I started using the blogs for articles in the first place.

I am in the process of going through my LEDs, 555s, Flashers, and Light Chasers article to bring it up to date format wise.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Why is this software asking me to allow Flash? There are those of us that live with slow internet connections that disable that Crap as a matter of course...

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
A thread title click landed me on the last AND unread post of this thread. I will keep an eye on the behaviour of this feature.
I think I get a consistent behaviour out of clicking the bold thread title: It gets me to the first unread post of the thread, which is the same behaviour as clicking the little dot to the left of the title.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
What does, "Following me" mean? Does it mean somebody clicked a, "Like" on my post or is this some social media term?

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

The ones that "you follow" are the friends you made in the vBulletin forum.
You might also have noticed that the ones "you follow" are in the box with the members online as their avatars.
The "like" button has the same function as the "thanks" button of vBulletin.

Bertus

Last edited: