Changing forum software from vBulletin to Xenforo

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
What I really dont like is that when I click on a thread on the main page, which I have not ever read, it takes me to the last post in the thread, and not the first unread post which would be the first one. Could we change this?
It's my understanding that if you haven't viewed a thread before, it will take you to the first post. However if you have viewed a thread, it will take you to the first unread post.
Are you clicking "Mark Forums as Read"? If so, then you are telling the forum you've read all the posts, and it will take you to the first unread posts in each thread next time you visit.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
We seem to have lost much and as far as I can see gained nothing with the new presentation.
As I told the members at ETO, try to put up with it for a few weeks. Take some time to explore it, allow the bugs to be worked out, and so on. You will eventually see the benefits outweigh the downfalls, and in a lot of cases the downfalls will be taken care of within a few weeks by the administration. Just keep reporting the problems you face, it helps a lot.

Regards,
Matt

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Yes I agree they are very annoying.

Well my email has been turned off - see post 50 - but they are still coming.

I have now found this other set of options as described and turned all of them off as well so we will see what happens.
But why are these (and all other account) options not collected together in one place?

I'm glad someone like it, the more I use it the more faults I am finding.

For instance the long time standard of CTRL + Z to undo no longer works in this editor.

We have lost much and gained only cosmetic differences.
studiot, the main reason to change over to a new forum software was not because we wanted to stay "hip" or on par with other sites. There were severe bugs that broke the site functionality and in part were due to the outdated forum software. One such example was the blank page after a new post submission bug, which unnerved many users in the past.

Hopefully, this kind of bugs will be gone now with the switch-over. As for the new software brand, if jrap believes it was worth a try, I believe him as well. I'm not in a position to offer criticism, as I don't have any web development experience nor have evaluated the rest of the software in a professional approach.

Finding difficulties in adapting to the new software (eg. locate the old functionalities) is understandable and expected. But it was a temporary trade-off we decided to make, in order to keep the site technically healthy.

And don't despair with missing features; Forum software is highly customizable and I'm confident that all the old stuff will find their way into AAC again, as long as there's someone to program them in.

About your e-mail issue, give us a few days to acclimatize and build experience on using this new piece of software. I'm sure we'll figure out how the e-mail system works.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
No I never used make forum as read on the new engine.
Again I tried with a thread I have not opened before, which was made today at 11.37 CEST, and again when I clicked on it on the main page of the forum I landed on the last post instead of frist unread.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I Hate XenForo...

I hated it when electroT went to it, I hated it when the Ham Radio and Aviation Forums I participate in went to it...

This morning I cannot post a .jpg to a Homework thread... No symbols, like Ohms (no I dont want to use Latex!) I find the user interface on this inferior...

Ps: I got the image posted. I had to reduce its size below ~400Kbytes. No explanation why I couldn't upload it, just ERROR OCCURRED!
From what I recall, the attachment size limit for each file should be around 5MB. We'll give a better look at this.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
Maybe we can condense/review the number (and location) of Stickies - e.g. Does the posting bug still exist under general (since we have new software). Also, there are so many stickies under General, we might want to make a new sub-forum with stickies only. Since they are mostly for noobs, why must they be scrolled through by everyone every time?
Yes, the number of stickies is becoming a bit excessive. I had taken a shot at reducing them a bit a few months back but didn't manage to find an easy grouping. I'll give it another shot eventually.

jrap

Joined Jun 25, 2006
No I never used make forum as read on the new engine.
Again I tried with a thread I have not opened before, which was made today at 11.37 CEST, and again when I clicked on it on the main page of the forum I landed on the last post instead of frist unread.
Hmm that is not good. What browser are you using? May help me narrow down the bug.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
What I really dont like is that when I click on a thread on the main page, which I have not ever read, it takes me to the last post in the thread, and not the first unread post which would be the first one. Could we change this?
When on a subforum page, while seeing the thread list, clicking on a thread title, which contains unread posts, takes me to the first post of the thread. This is what was happening with vBulleting as well.
When on the main (landing) page, if I click on the "latest post" of a subforum (on the right), it takes me to the latest post, which is the intended action.

Are you experiencing something different?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Allright now I understand. I had the impression that the Latest on the main page on the right means latest thread, not latest post.
Even though I'd love it to work as latest thread and go to first unread post, I have to concur it works as inteded.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
Yes, the number of stickies is becoming a bit excessive. I had taken a shot at reducing them a bit a few months back but didn't manage to find an easy grouping. I'll give it another shot eventually.
A new subForum called "Tips & Tricks" would be nice. The whole thread would be Stickies from posts in found in Projects and General. Anyone can suggest that a single post get moved to this Sub-forum. A nice clear title could be re-assigned - HOW TO PICK FILTER CAP SIZES, BATTERY AMP-HOUR CALCULATIONS, ...

That would leave only, how to use "TEX" and "Rules for Posting in General" as the only stickies under General.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
The problem is that stickies are supposed to be in your way, in order for you to bump onto them and read them, such as the Subforum Guidelines. However, I totally agree that some stickies are less important than others. I'll take your suggestion into consideration.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
The problem is that stickies are supposed to be in your way, in order for you to bump onto them and read them, such as the Subforum Guidelines. However, I totally agree that some stickies are less important than others. I'll take your suggestion into consideration.
Thanks, I was just thinking that we need to bump into some of the current stickies one time - not every time we scroll down.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
That would be like "Reading and Accepting" the terms of service. Which we all "Read and Accept" ONCE and then go about our business. Stickies are more like a warning roadsign.
But yes, their other purpose is to be easily accessible and those could be moved elsewhere.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I am moving my question to this thread. It used to be at here
jrap supplied me with the screen shot

This appears on my laptop using Chrome, but does NOT appear on my iPhone. On the iPhone, the only links are "Contact Us" and "Help".

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
When on a subforum page, while seeing the thread list, clicking on a thread title, which contains unread posts, takes me to the first post of the thread. This is what was happening with vBulleting as well.
When on the main (landing) page, if I click on the "latest post" of a subforum (on the right), it takes me to the latest post, which is the intended action.

Are you experiencing something different?
A thread title click landed me on the last AND unread post of this thread. I will keep an eye on the behaviour of this feature.