Changing forum software from vBulletin to Xenforo

Discussion in 'Feedback and Suggestions' started by jrap, Aug 27, 2014.

1. jrap

Thread Starter Administrator

Jun 25, 2006
    Hi All - Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that in the next few days you will see a pretty big change on the forums. We are going to be moving from vBulletin 3 (released in 2004) to Xenforo (http://xenforo.com).

A lot of boards have made the move to Xenforo because it's a much better, modern piece of software. It will make viewing and participating on the forums much easier to do on all devices.

All posts, thanks, blogs, photo albums, etc will be (hopefully smoothly!) transfered over to the new forum.

Thanks!

Rob

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Will there be an archived version of VB available for a while? Just in case...

3. jrap

Jun 25, 2006
    Yup I can make the vB temporarily accessible in read-only mode

4. atferrari

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 6, 2004
    Good to hear that it will mean an improvement!

5. KJ6EAD

Apr 30, 2011
    Another forum that I'm active on made the switch a while back. It is much more difficult to navigate on my phone and is less readable.

6. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    We have had a list of bugs accumulating on VB. I am willing to give something new a try.

Georacer likes this.
  7. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I'd like to THANK jrap for providing this, the BEST electronics forum on the web!!!!!

You've help a an old guy more than you can ever know.

Metalmann likes this.
  8. sirch2

Jan 21, 2013
    I'd like to second shortbus's thanks for the best electronics forum on the web.

I'm sure research has been done in selecting new forum software and with the switch being immanent things are probably pretty settled by this point but just a nod in the direction of Simple Machines Forum (http://www.simplemachines.org/) which seems pretty good on other sites I use.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    You've helped a lot of old guys and a lot of young ones. The old guys keep their brains from getting rusty while doing something that has real value. The beginners get the benefits and so, they are helped, too.

Last night, I fixed an air conditioner over the phone, from 3000 miles away. Very different from working this forum. Very intense talking a noob through the diagnostic process while he fumbles for the right socket wrench and decides whether he is bold enough to poke a contactor with an insulated screwdriver. That was worth money!

On the forums, I can help, or not, at the speed I am able to work. None of that pacing the house for an hour with a phone stuck to my ear. The beginners can work at their own speed, and it's all casual. I definitely prefer working a forum to doing live diagnostic calls!

DerStrom8 likes this.
  10. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    Yea but this is vBulletin v3 was v5 considered at all it may address a lot of the issues.

11. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Dealers choice. You offering to buy a copy? :)

I've been playing with the new code. It's pretty good.

12. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    I've overed to donate aka become a paying member if the owner decided to offer that. So yea :)

But I can understand choosing the cheaper software if it's just as good. I've never used the new software myslef just know vBulletin is like the default norm for just about every forum I use.

But if donations were ever accepted I'd be first in line.

13. jrap

Jun 25, 2006

I played around with both vBulletin 5 and xenforo - I thought xenforo was the better product :) The guys who made xenforo are actually former lead developers for vB!

14. MrSmoofy

Jul 28, 2014
    Sounds good to me.

15. jrap

Jun 25, 2006
    Not the smoothest or fastest move - my apologies!

Please report any bugs or issues with the new forum here!

16. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Looks great. Still cannot insert image using "paste" function. Gives server error.

Tried uploading an image png file and that also didn't work.

Should the negative sign on the battery be rotated 90°? I know that is a nit. It is the image I tried to paste.

John

17. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hallo John,

Do you mean the logo on top of the page?
    I tried to upload the picture but got an error message.

Bertus

18. studiot

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007

19. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    @bertus

The icon I am referring to is the one in black with the battery oriented vertically. That is not particularly important.

Far more important, the insert image button only allows a URL location for the image; the upload file button will not allow uploads from the users PC (didn't check whether a URL works); and the paste action (ctrl +v) created a momentary pasted image, but then gives a server error. In other words, there does not appear anyway to make an attachment that isn't already on a site. The paste action for text does work.

John

20. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Here I am trying to insert the image using the img tags:

[​IMG]

Bertus