Changing a Multimeter setting from a x10 to a rx1

Mr.Piccolo22

Joined Oct 27, 2009
I am beginner at electronics and I tried searching the forum to see if this was posted already, so I am sorry if it was...

I purchased a analog multimeter that I wanted to use for a project. However I need to switch the lowest setting from Rx10 setting to a Rx1. Is there a way I can switch out a couple of resistors and have it read the RX1 setting?

The Meter is a M1016B Commercial Electric.

I attached a picture of the PC board.

Thanks for any help.

Mr.P

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Your meter is most likely a very inexpensive one. Can you show a photo of the front of the meter? Digital meters have also come down in price. You can buy a digital meter on sale for under $10. Don't bother to mess with the one you already have.

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
Well without seeing a schematic or the traces I am at a loss as to where to go on it. Since it looks like there are only resistors, diodes, and maybe a couple of caps it should be as simple as changing a resistor or two. However, doing so may screw with the voltage read out as well.

Mr.Piccolo22

Joined Oct 27, 2009
It is an inexpensive unit, however I need the analog to see the sweeping motion and the digital wouldn't show it as quickly. As far as the rest of the of the meter I really don't need to test anything else but the Rx1 ohm setting.

Attachments

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
It would appear that your meter is already damaged. Why is there a big blob of solder on the switch wiper contacts?

Mr.Piccolo22

Joined Oct 27, 2009
I did that to to permanently keep it in the Rx10 ohm setting, which I want to switch to the Rx1. Plus it had to some how I needed to make the points of connections that I removed the sweeper contact. I didn't need the rest of the box because I am going to to repackage three meters into one project box.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
We're going to get nowhere without a schematic. This is like asking what the gear ratio is in a transmission by showing a photo of a car.

Mr.Piccolo22

Joined Oct 27, 2009
Ron,

Thank you for the diagram. I am going to print it up and review it and look up a lot of terms up and get an understanding of what you gave me (still very new and trying to learn). If I have any questions do you mind if I send you pm?

Thanks.

Mr.P

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
We're going to get nowhere without a schematic. This is like asking what the gear ratio is in a transmission by showing a photo of a car.
Actually, this can be done (believe it or not) without a schematic, instruments, or even knowledge of the meter movement's FS E or I spec,... or it's internal resistance.

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Ron,

Thank you for the diagram. I am going to print it up and review it and look up a lot of terms up and get an understanding of what you gave me (still very new and trying to learn). If I have any questions do you mind if I send you pm?

Thanks.

Mr.P
No one else benefits from PMs. Let's keep any exchanges here on the forum.

CDRIVE

Joined Jul 1, 2008
See the attached schematic and explanation.
Ron, I looked at your schematic and read your description and theory of operation. All looked good and accurate except for one thing and that one thing changes things considerably. Mr.Piccolo said that he wants an R x 1 scale but the lowest range on his meter is R x 10. That would make mid scale = 100Ω, not 10Ω. That would also mean that currently Rsh= 100Ω, not 10Ω. So, it would follow that an R x 1 scale would require Rsh= 10Ω. not 1Ω. It would then follow that FS would require 150mA, not 1.5A. To restate.. Did you mean to provide an R x 0.1 scale or did I spend too much time at the watering hole? The latter would not be my first time. :D

Chris

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
Geez, Chris, I'm a little embarrassed. I just assumed that the lowest range would have the actual resistor values on the scale. Duhhh... I didn't even think about having to multiply by 10. Brain fart, I guess.
So you're correct. I think.:rolleyes: I will revise my attachment and repost it.
What was the method you referred to in post #13?