Change Username/Remove Account

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
As a general rule we do not delete accounts (note that this is very different from being willing to change a username for a bona fide reason).

You can make it so that you won't receive any further e-mail notifications by managing your profile and unsubscribing from any threads you have responded to (which looks like it's probably only this one).

bvvrand

Joined Jun 6, 2016
Will you explain why? I'd also like my account deleted. If I knew this wasn't an option prior to creating the account, I wouldn't have made it.

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Just walk away and never use it again. It is the same thing, and does not leave a hole in our database or require a special effort by our administrators.

If this presents a problem you could always ask for a permanent ban. This is under a moderators purview and you would not be tempted to come back.

If this sounds like I am being nasty it is not my intent. Your posts are locked in.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Will you explain why? I'd also like my account deleted. If I knew this wasn't an option prior to creating the account, I wouldn't have made it.
If you had read the User Agreement, you would have seen the following: "You are granting us with a non-exclusive, permanent, irrevocable, unlimited license to use, publish, or re-publish your Content in connection with the Service." But, in fairness, how many people actually read User Agreements before agreeing to them? I probably look at them much more closely than most -- but only because I am looking for specific things in them. But even so I only skim the bulk of it at best.

As for explanation, as Wendy indicated, it leaves a hole in the database. Other posters may have linked to posts of yours. Plus, deleting the first post in a thread deletes the entire thread.

In addition to the technical problems it creates, we also get people (on an all-too-frequent basis) that post things in an effort to get unauthorized assistance on assignments and then want the evidence deleted to prevent getting caught. Since we have no way of know what is and what is not unauthorized assistance, our best way of encouraging people to refrain from asking for it is to make such requests a part of the permanent record. That all falls under the User Agreement where members agree not to post private or confidential information.

Hope that helps.