Change my circuit

Joined Nov 30, 2010
One of the moderators gets personal with me if I show people how to wire directly to the mains. I'm afraid this can't be done on this website.

Man_in_UK

Joined May 13, 2008
this is a shame as I might have to build a few hundred of these things. Having a transformer in front will put a huge cost onto the project.

I didn't really want to go as simple as a relay but at least the component count will be easy to work out :)

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
If all you are trying to do is sense whether there is power, then I would think that you could simply use a wire coil with a few turns as a pick-up coil with, perhaps, the hot wire routed through the coil.

ErnieM

Joined Apr 24, 2011
this is a shame as I might have to build a few hundred of these things. Having a transformer in front will put a huge cost onto the project.

I didn't really want to go as simple as a relay but at least the component count will be easy to work out :)
There is a curious and quite push back of the restrictions here about giving such wiring instructions. Those who could do such wiring without trouble need not ask here. Those with an incomplete understanding (which is an observation and not a slight) would better wait till they have more expierence before doing such a thing with just some words on a webpage for guidance.

The old timers here would by far prefer that the young-ins survive the learning process without any direct Darwinian thinning of the heard.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012

Man_in_UK

Joined May 13, 2008

Man_in_UK

Joined May 13, 2008
Those who could do such wiring without trouble need not ask here.
I was OK to work out what resistor would limit my current into a 4n25. Only I cant use a single resistor due to the AC current giving me the half wave thing.
I understand what my circuit does, but not enough to know what value to change both resistors too.

I do understand why the answers are not coming back, I guess it's not a bad thing.