Change a 2 wire RTD to a 3 or 4 wire

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Gibson486, Mar 10, 2015.

1. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    If I add my own resistors, could I theoretically turn a a two wire RTD into a 3 or 4 wire RTD? In the real world, it is probably not feasible to do this (just buy a 3 or 4 wire RTD?), so this question is purely academic.

2. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    In a word yes. You may want to give this a read. The actual RTD itself is a 2 wire device. How you configure it can be 2, 3, or 4 wire.

Ron

3. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks! Maybe I am over thinking this. If this use of 4 wire and 3 wire only if you are making connections from beyond the pcb where it is located? If the RTD is on the PCB where the measurements are being converted, I am guessing that all these R values really become negligible?

4. Reloadron

Jan 15, 2015
    You would be guessing correctly. :)

The RTD itself is no more than a leg in a bridge. If the bridge is nice and local so to speak you will have 3 fixed resistors and the RTD all comprising the bridge circuit. There is no lead resistance to speak of or compensate for. However, if I have my 3 fixed resistors on a board but my RTD (the sensor) some distance away then in some cases the lead resistance comes into play. This is where 3 and 4 wire measurements become important. This is especially true with low resistance RTDs.

Ron

Gibson486 likes this.
  5. Gibson486

Thread Starter Member

Jul 20, 2012
    Thanks! Saved me about an hours worth of time! Many Thanks!