CFree IDE/compiler

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by chesart1, Feb 8, 2008.

1. chesart1

Thread Starter Senior Member

Jan 23, 2006
    Has anyone used the CFree compiler? I've downloaded it onto my HP Pavilion Slimline computer. I have the Windows Vista operating system.

I'm having problems building a project using the sample programs provided with CFree.

When I create a console application and compile the sample C program Chello, I receive the error
    gcc.exe: installation problem, cannot exec cpp: no such file or directory.

I have the same problem when I create a windows application and compile the sample C++ program CPPhello.

I checked the file install.log which was created while the CFree program was installing. It did not indicate any errors installing gcc.exe.

I will try installing the CFree again.

Thanks in advance,
    John

C-Free Home - A Professional C/C++ IDE

C-Free download - An excellent IDE for C/C++ language. - Windows Vista Downloa

2. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    Update:

I learned that C-Free 3.5 does not work in Windows Vista. If you want to download a small 8.6 megabyte C/C++ IDE/ compiler, download the C-Free educational beta edition at:
    C-Free Home - A Professional C/C++ IDE

This one works in Windows Vista. I have successfully compiled and ran the sample programs in a console application, a windows application and a dialog application.

John

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    When you install CFree, have you run the installer executable in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2?

Dave

4. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    Thanks. I did not try that. I downloaded the latest educational beta version. This version is compatible with Windows Vista.

I wrote a small C++ console application to find the resonant frequency of a tank circuit. I wanted an inexpensive C/C++ compiler for calculations when using SwCAD III. The CFree IDE/compiler is shareware.

5. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    Like most, I am sceptical of using beta software. When you download the CFree installer executable and are ready to install, right-click and select Properties.

On the ensuing dialog, select the Compatibility tab and check the "Run this program in compatibility mode for " and select Windows XP SP2 in the drop down,

Dave

6. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    Thanks! It has the option to run the program for a particular windows version. I did not realize that option existed with the CFree installer.

You are correct about skepticism of Beta programs. C-Free beta has bugs. Fortunately the bugs did not cause my computer to crash and I have not experienced any viruses. I reported the bugs to the C-Free support site.

I like the price $29.99. [CFree is shareware] I have a telephone connection to the internet so the small size of the download [8 megs] was appealing.

John

7. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    All installer and executables within Vista have this option to run in compatibility mode for one of various Windows OSes. Because of the extensive low-level changes in Vista don't expect it to always work for software that is designed for previous versions of Windows, but it is often the case that it does work. Another thing that may help is running the software as administrator at launch, that way the security features in Vista are not a limiting factor in software that is design to run with admin rights.

I'd hope it wouldn't have virus'! Good to see your reporting the bugs, that way they will hopefully iron them out for the RTM release and will make a better package for end users.

Good stuff John, keep us posted on how it goes.

Dave

8. chesart1

Jan 23, 2006
    My biggest concern about installing programs to run in an older version of windows is the installation of DLL files not compatible with Windows Vista. I've had experiences where an installation utility replaced a DLL file with an obsolete DLL file. After the installation, some applications no longer worked.

If I install a program with the option to run it like it was in an older version windows, do I risk the replacement of DLL files needed for other applications?

9. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    No. Starting with Windows XP, Microsoft implemented something called side-by-side assemblies which allows for multiple versions of a DLL file to be stored for differing applications. When the differing applications run they will load up the relevant DLL in isolation and not using common dependencies. This is why the issue of DLL-hell is all but gone in XP and Vista.

Dave