CFL Safety

strantor

Joined Oct 3, 2010
A few months ago my wife came running in the living room saying the bathroom light caught on fire. I ran in the bathroom and it smelled like something definately burned but the light looked fine (other than not being on). I unscrewed it and the whole back side of the plastic housing was melted, with a big hole in the back where it looks like someone blew through it with an acetylene torch. Never tripped the breaker. Scary. I'm glad I did my part to solve the energy crisis... put my family in danger and bought from china.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
AND

The cheap chinese ones(which means all of them :) ) are not properly designed to correct the power factor of the switching supply contained inside. They are increasingly taxing the power grid with their low power factor. I use them myself, but believe they will soon give way to different technologies like LED's.

I've never had one catch fire, but the smell of something burning is common when they go out. I have smelled it many times, and then I replace the bulb after about the same amount of hours a 60W incandescent would last.

:(