Ceramic caps specs

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by samuel.whiskers, May 30, 2014.

1. samuel.whiskers

Thread Starter Member

Mar 17, 2014
    I picked up a little bulk pack of ceramics on ebay, were pretty cheap - 250 assorted caps for $6 or 7.... they are TINY..... not inspiring in terms of quality. I note on the ebay sellers page they are listed as PIC/Arduino - no voltage noted. I wonder if they are meant for 5V???

The 'prime spec' ceramics I've bought from my local electronics place are listed as 50V, and get larger as the value increases.

I'd like to buy another bulk assortment lot, should I get 50V rated caps? anything else to look out for? Suggestions where/what to buy?
  2. ErnieM

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 24, 2011
    You can get 0.1 uf, 25V caps in a .08 x .05" case for 4.720 cents a piece for a 50 piece lot from Digi-key.

Add in $3.22 for U.S. Postal Service First Class Mail and the total damage is $5.58

You were ROBBED !!!

To get a long life I was taught decades ago to aim for twice the rating as the voltage, so in a 5V circuit get 10V caps. That rule of thumb comes from MIL-HDBK-217F.

More is better so no need to cut it close.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Jul 18, 2013
    Futurlec should also be available to you, as they have an Australasia address.
    I buy my strip board from them.
    samuel.whiskers likes this.
  4. samuel.whiskers

Thread Starter Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Thanks - I didn't know futurlec had an .au site - shipping seems good too.... I have bought from digikey in the past, but the shipping was a killer.
  5. samuel.whiskers

Thread Starter Member

Mar 17, 2014
    Maybe.... given a cup of coffee and a biscuit here would set me back more, I'm not crying.... :)

I never, ever go for the cheapest I can find, annoying that most of ebay seems to be just that, have to wonder about quality, although I haven't had any failures from what I've picked up so far....
    Last edited: May 30, 2014