Centre Irrigation Pivot Project

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Pieterkii, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Pieterkii

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    So I'm doing a project for a module in university.

The idea:
    To make a centre irrigation pivot that is controlled from a GUI on a PC, and communicates with a micro-controller through a serial wire.

The idea is that you enter the amount of water you want to be sprayed over each section of the circle(the circle consists of 4 sections, thus 90 degrees for each section).

Example: "2 litres over section 1 and 2. And 4 litres over section 3 and 4."

The system will start by measuring the speed water flow and calculate how fast it must move over each of the sections to spray the desired amount over each section.

What i need to figure out:
    What motor(DC motor with PWM, servo motor.. etc) I need to use, I have never worked with a servo, can you accurately make it move to a desired position with the required speed? Need help to figure out the best method for this. Was thinking I might use PWM with a DC motor, and use a compass to check it's position and calculate the speeds.

Any other thought would be appreciated thank you!
  2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    Will you be controlling speed or water flow.
    Seems controlling the water flow is simplest.
  3. Pieterkii

Thread Starter New Member

Jul 23, 2014
    No, It will be a fixed water flow from a tap. Will measure it and control the speed of the motor to compensate
  4. Bernard

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 7, 2008
    Do you have any of the mechanical parts designed or built? Is either end of rotating shaft available to mount drive & rotary encoder?
    What part of the world are you in?
    I saw a possible gear reduced motor with a shaft encoder attached here in US.