Central Locking - Solution needed!

Sosijdog

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Hi guys, brand new to this forum and looking for some assistance on a central locking problem.

Ok, here we go. My van already had central locking but it was only activated with the key in the lock. I purchased and fitted a keyless entry system (a zapper basically) so it could be done remotely. This part works perfect.

However, I would like to use the Trigger wire from this central locking unit to flash the hazard warning lights when locking and unlocking but with the current hazard warning system in the vehicle I cannot get it to work that easy.

The trigger wire was designed to work on side lights and simply supplies a stab of 12v dc – once when locking and two stabs when opening. I thought it would be a simple case of joining this into the power input for the flasher unit at the hazard warning switch. However the hazard warnings are operated with a “push push” type switch – so basically it gives a stab of power to start them then a stab of power to stop them. Probably done with a transistor switch?

Now here’s the thing – as I said before my trigger wire gives one stab on locking and two on opening. So it works fine when unlocking (gives a stab to start the flashers then a stab to stop) but only one stab on locking so they continue to flash. So I would need something to give me a delayed pulse after I trigger the doors to lock. (which would give the flashers the second stab of power to stop them flashing).

Is there any way around this? I would ideally like a simple solution (don’t we all!) like a simple plug in component between the trigger and flasher power wire?

Anything out there that would give me what I am looking for? :confused:

(Someone suggested that I just wire it up like its supposed to be but I would like to use the Hazard warning lights. They look more authentic, are easier to see from any angle but most of all I am just interested to see if I can get it to work!)

Thanks in advance guys.
Stevo.

Last edited:

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Usually the flashers have a common(+) wire running through all of them so they turn on at the same time, what I did for my truck is I wired a relay to the positive wire of the hazard lights (Which bypasses the hazard flashing circuit), this way the lights will flash once for the first trigger, then twice with the double trigger.....

My .02

Sosijdog

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The flasher relay I have on my vehicle uses a single relay but split in two so that one half is for the right hand turn signal and the other half for the left. The hazard switch (I think) uses a transistor switch to turn on both sides at the same time so I have two wires to power the flasher relay not a single.

That is mainly the problem. I also need them to work as normal to pass the vehicle Test every year. (I am in the UK).

I was thinkin about some sort of delay relay that starts timing from the moment I energise the lock button (the locking relay will pulse to start the flasher) and after a few seconds the delayed relay would give a pulse to stop it. But I dont know if such a device exists?

Anyone know about this?

BMorse

Joined Sep 26, 2009
Hi there, thanks for the reply.

The flasher relay I have on my vehicle uses a single relay but split in two so that one half is for the right hand turn signal and the other half for the left. The hazard switch (I think) uses a transistor switch to turn on both sides at the same time so I have two wires to power the flasher relay not a single.

That is mainly the problem. I also need them to work as normal to pass the vehicle Test every year. (I am in the UK).

I was thinkin about some sort of delay relay that starts timing from the moment I energise the lock button (the locking relay will pulse to start the flasher) and after a few seconds the delayed relay would give a pulse to stop it. But I dont know if such a device exists?

Anyone know about this?

You can just run 2 wires off of a relay to control both sides, since you are just flashing them when ever there is a trigger output from the remote, this will not affect the function of the flashers, your vehicle should pass inspection just fine, basically the flashers will still work the way they were intended to work, and the lights will just flash when ever there is an output pulse from the remote receiver..... (On my truck the flashers still work the same way, the lights just flash when I arm/disarm the alarm, or when using the vehicle finder button and also when the alarm is triggered).

My .02

Attachments

Sosijdog

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Thanks for that BMorse you're a genius!! :)

That is the way to do it. I will just have to locate the two wires from the switching unit and splice onto them.

Spot on advice. Much appreciated.

Sosijdog

Joined Nov 11, 2009
One more thing about this set up....

By doing this will I need 2 diodes in the circuit (one for each wire)? Because if I dont, when I indicate either left or right the otherside will also flash because the wires are coming back to a common point on the relay.

Thanks again.

reggs

Joined Oct 22, 2009
Ah memories, memories. I did exactly this about 20 years ago on a VW Golf when I was a teenager. I'd not used the 2 diodes and remember the happiness of getting the 4 indicators to flash when I pipped the alarm and then the dismay when I signalled to turn a corner and had all four indicators go off.

The diodes did the trick in the end !

Good luck !

Sosijdog

Joined Nov 11, 2009
Ha ha, Cheers dude! But experience is never wasted. Doing things right first time means you dont learn nothing.

I will go with the diodes.

Thanks for all your help guys - Much appreciated.

Stevo.

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
You can just run 2 wires off of a relay to control both sides, since you are just flashing them when ever there is a trigger output from the remote, this will not affect the function of the flashers, your vehicle should pass inspection just fine, basically the flashers will still work the way they were intended to work, and the lights will just flash when ever there is an output pulse from the remote receiver..... (On my truck the flashers still work the same way, the lights just flash when I arm/disarm the alarm, or when using the vehicle finder button and also when the alarm is triggered).

My .02
Hi,

I know this thread is quite an old one, but I have to connect the central locking wires to the indicator line. In BMorse's attached diagram above, why there's a diode connected between 1 and 2 in the relay switch?

Can anyone enlighten me please.
Thanks

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
The diode in the diagram is shown the wrong way round; When fitted the correct way round it is there to absorb the back-EMF from the relay coil when it's switched off.

blocco a spirale

Joined Jun 18, 2008
There should be diodes on the flashers as well but if we're just talking about relay terminals 1&2 the diode should be turned round so the cathode/band is at the +12V end of the coil. The diagram is wrong on both counts.

zakmuh

Joined Jul 25, 2016
Apologies, as I have a very little knowledge in electronics, I'm struggling to understand the concept here. So I seek your patience :)

The incoming pulsed voltage from the central locking unit will power up the coil, which then will activate the connection to the flashers. I understand the reason for having diode for each flasher.

How I understand is....terminals 1&2 are there to activate the coil when locking or unlocking button is pressed; +12V cannot pass through to the GND with this....Please can you explain why another diode is required to the +12V end of the coil?