Center-tapped Transformer

worldHello

Joined Oct 15, 2014
So I need a transformer that has a center tap at the primary (not the secondary). Most transformers I found have center tap at the secondary.

This is my strategy:
Get two transformers and line them together. The middle is then the center tap.
Does this strategy work?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Yes. Just be sure to check the phase relationships of your secondaries so they add up instead of cancel each other.

alfacliff

Joined Dec 13, 2013
there are a whole bunch of transformers with center tapped primaries, called control transformers. used in industrial equipment to supply control voltage, and have either a center tapped primary or two primaries for a wider range of line voltages.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So I need a transformer that has a center tap at the primary (not the secondary). Most transformers I found have center tap at the secondary.

This is my strategy:
Get two transformers and line them together. The middle is then the center tap.
Does this strategy work?
----------------------------------------------
there are a whole bunch of transformers with center tapped primaries, called control transformers. used in industrial equipment to supply control voltage, and have either a center tapped primary or two primaries for a wider range of line voltages.
I'm confused. :confused: Initially you said you want to make a transformer with a center-tapped primary and then you say you have a whole bunch of such transformers. So what do you want?

atferrari

Joined Jan 6, 2004
there are a whole bunch of transformers with center tapped primaries, called control transformers. used in industrial equipment to supply control voltage, and have either a center tapped primary
Are they kind of autotransformers implemented on the primary? Isn't it easier to have that tap in the secondary?

Sorry. I cannot grasp the concept.

djsfantasi

Joined Apr 11, 2010
I'm confused. :confused: Initially you said you want to make a transformer with a center-tapped primary and then you say you have a whole bunch of such transformers. So what do you want?
The OP stated he needed one transformer with a center-tapped primary .

Alfacliff said there was a whole bunch of such transformers.

I think you mixed up the posts from two members.