Center Tapped Transformer with Voltage Divider

bembe24

Joined Oct 1, 2016
Im scaling down the waveform output of a center tapped transformer from 12VAC to 1VAC. In simulation everything works fine. When I tried it on an actual center tapped transformer, the transformer heats up and I have no proper reading. What am I doing wrong?
I attached a photo a the circuit

Attachments

LesJones

Joined Jan 8, 2017
Just use the centre tap and one end of the winding. There will be 24 volts between the ends of the winding which you have shorted out. What are you trying to achieve ? As you have a meter that will measure 12 volts why do you need scale the voltage down to 0.75 volts ? (This is based on the left hand meter having an infinite internal resistance. Have you taken its actual internal resistance into account in your calculations ?
Les.

bembe24

Joined Oct 1, 2016
I want to scale down the output waveform of the transformer from 12VAC to at least 1VAC. So I made a voltage divider to connected to the transformer. I want to have a 1VAC voltage output across R4. what proper connection am I going to use?

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
So use the centre tap and one of the end windings to get 12Vac, use 11K and 1K resistors across the transformer, measure the voltage across the 1K....

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
In simulation everything works fine. When I tried it on an actual center tapped transformer, the transformer heats up and I have no proper reading.
Which demonstrates clearly that simulation results need to be interpreted correctly and taken with a pinch of salt.