Center tapped inductor

jxm1092

Joined Jul 16, 2012
So I have a question about a circuit I came across using a center tapped inductor. The way I understand this circuit is that if this input voltages are within a certain margin of 120V 60 Hz the inductor ensures that the voltage and frequency of each input combines to be the same for a single output. Can someone explain to me how this works? Also would there be any downside to this like phase shift or frequency issues? I searched google but most of what I found on center tapped inductors didn't really answer the questions I had.

Attachments

Ron H

Joined Apr 14, 2005
What is in that voltage/freq sensing box? It has no inputs, yet it appears to be powering the coils of relays.

jxm1092

Joined Jul 16, 2012
It's an unknown what's in the box, but I did leave out that the two hot inputs go to that box. I would assume it looks at the voltage and freq of the inputs and as long as they are within that 120/60 bandwidth it closes the relays. As far as I know it doesn't have any other function. Although I have been looking at voltage regulator patents to understand how it works for correcting an AC waveform so maybe it does do something. But I don't believe that it does at the moment.

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Maybe the system insures phase sync between a generator and line or two generators. Inductor would absorb minor differences in voltage/phase between the two and allow for pull in. Similar to starting a synchronous motor.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
it looks like this might be a feed-in box for a DC to AC inverter (e.g. from Solar Power system). One input is the power line for the box to sense phase and the second input is from the solar inverter whose signal is adjusted for phase to feed into the grid.

jxm1092

Joined Jul 16, 2012
Inductor would absorb minor differences in voltage/phase between the two and allow for pull in.
I think this is the closest to how it works, but I'm having trouble finding more explanations on this concept.

jxm1092

Joined Jul 16, 2012
what i'm really interested in is combining two ac sources into a single source like say two random 120V 60Hz ac power supplies cominbed into one output