Center Tap Pot problem

Discussion in 'Electronics Resources' started by Simon_m74, May 20, 2014.

1. Simon_m74

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 17, 2006
    Hi there all,

I need to make up a X/Y Joystick that uses a center-tapped 3k Pot for each axis.
    I cant find pots online to suit this, so does anyone know how to get round the problem?

Thanks

Simon

2. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    What are the joysticks connected to?

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    That's not easy. What load is the pot driving? How is the pot connected?

4. Simon_m74

Jun 17, 2006
    Its for a Virtuality video game machine from the 1990`s.
    The joysticks connect direct to a custom `I/O` board, that has a set of MAX,CEN,MIN trimming pots on it for each axis, then ultimately heads down a connection to a Commodore Amiga 3000 computer`s joystick port.
    It looks like the wiper goes to the Amiga via a resistor, and the tap and outer connections go to the trimming circuit part of the PCB.

5. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Perhaps I made an incorrect assumption at first. What do you mean by "center tapped"? What difficulties have you experienced when searching for a replacement? What electrically distinguishes the desired pot?

6. Simon_m74

Jun 17, 2006
    Hi,

What I mean is I need a 3K pot, that also has an extra connection to the resistor, half-way along its length,

So really instead of a 3k Pot, it could be referenced like two 1.5K pots in series, with a single wiper that spreads across both resistors.

The use for this kind of pot has almost become obsolete, as have the components.

Hence I`m asking if there is a way of `faking` the output from one, as my VR system requires that kind of input.

7. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Good clarification. Unfortunately, I don't have any ideas. I searched myself and was also unsuccessful. Most of the results were for audio pots and much greater resistances.

Simon_m74 likes this.
  8. Simon_m74

Jun 17, 2006
    yeah I know...

thats why I want to `fake` it.
    Other than that, I have recently found information on how to mod a standard Pot to a have a center Tap, so I`ll try that :)
    Then I have design and build a pair of joysticks :)

9. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    You could try this fake. Might need to tinker with component values so that both the C and W impedances/voltages are convincing to the Commodore.

Simon_m74 and djsfantasi like this.
  10. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    I did see a suggestion for using this circuit on an audio forum. Thanks, Alec

11. Simon_m74

Jun 17, 2006
    Thanks Alec,

it being a 3K pot,

I then assume I`d need R1 & 2 to be 1.5K ?
    and U1 as the 3K ?

or at least something like that?

12. Alec_t

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 17, 2013
    No. With the component values I showed, R1 + R2 = 9.4k. That sum is in parallel with 5k, giving a combined resistance of 5k x 9.4k / (5k + 9.4k) = 3.26k between points A and B.
    So the Commodore will see an apparent '3.26k pot' between points A and B, and the voltage at 'centre-tap' C will be half the AB voltage. The voltage at wiper W will be a variable fraction of the AB voltage.
    This arrangement should fool the Commodore, providing the impedances of its inputs which connect to C and W are considerably higher than 5k.

Simon_m74 likes this.
  13. Simon_m74

Jun 17, 2006
    ah yes..... resistors in series / parallel ! - missed that when looking at it - DOH!!!

I will give that a try soon! :) thanks :)

I have a test program that is used to trim the pots, using a graph, so I`ll use that to see how it reacts.

Simon