celing fan speed too slow

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dmta, Aug 10, 2013.

1. dmta

Thread Starter Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Hi all,

I am having the following problem in my celing fan except for the fact that it has 5 speeds. What to do ?

Regards

• fan.jpg
      fan.jpg
      File size:
      101.3 KB
      Views:
  2. ScottWang

Aug 23, 2012
    That kind of fan there is no any protection, so the speed can't too fast, otherwise when the fan is working and the blades left the fan that it may kill someone.

3. wmodavis

Oct 23, 2010
    You might look inside for a capacitor and replace it with one of equal ratings and see if that helps. I have done this when fan was running slow with good success.

4. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    If it is the simple triac controller at the light switch position, it could be this defective.
    Max.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    The old Hunter brand fans were famous for "barely moving". If everything checks out when measured, you might have to conclude that it was designed to run very slow. Still, checking its parts is a good thing. You can't be sure until you examine it.

6. dmta

Thread Starter Member

Mar 24, 2013
    Hi guys,

I think the picture may have misled some of you. The actual thing doesn't look like the pic. BTW the fan is a KDK brand :D

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    That's OK. We spend a lot of time here responding to false or missing information.

8. msak671@hotmail.com

Aug 4, 2013
  9. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    The AC motor in a fan runs in a state of "slip" so the speed you get is determined by the input power compared to all the drag forces.

If there is a high drag force (like a bearing that needs lube) the fan will run very slow. Other symptoms of bearing drag will be that the fan is very slow, but can speed up if left running (as bearings warm up and loosen).

Spray a heap of lube in there, but pick a lube that doesn't smell too much. :)