ceiling light flashes

0001T

Joined Feb 28, 2007
i am facing this tricky little problem now:mad:

the ceiling light in my room flashes even though the switch has been off.
usually notice this during bedtime when i am lying down facing the ceiling. it will flash. is this some kind of 'residual charge' or something like that:confused:

anyone has experienced this also?
how can i go about solving this issue?

thanks a million

0001T

Joined Feb 28, 2007
And does it flash a few times and stop, or flash all night?
it will flash & stop, not continuously flashing. it is still on the next day. but i did not monitor throughout the nite cos most of the time i will doze off to dreamland:D

thks

mentaaal

Joined Oct 17, 2005
is it possible that you could have a dodgy switch? does the light ever flash when the switch is on? seems the most likely cause of the problem is the switch... you could try flicking the switch when it is off and see if does anything?

RiJoRI

Joined Aug 15, 2007
This is known to occur with CFL lights. I googled "cfl flash" and found some info.

HTH,
--Rich
(fluorescent lights give me depression!)

studiot

Joined Nov 9, 2007
I think you should have the neutral checked as it can reach several tens of volts (more if faulty) above earth, though I have never heard of it being enough to overcome a flourescent striking voltage.

millwood

Joined Dec 31, 1969
i am facing this tricky little problem now:mad:

the ceiling light in my room flashes even though the switch has been off.
usually notice this during bedtime when i am lying down facing the ceiling. it will flash. is this some kind of 'residual charge' or something like that:confused:

anyone has experienced this also?
how can i go about solving this issue?

thanks a million
the wiring is faulty.

Tesla23

Joined May 10, 2009
It sounds like a commonly observed effect with some CFLs. see for example :

Comment: we recently observed the flashing CFL effect ourselves in a number of lamp fittings. We have concluded that it is not a fault in the CFL or the 240VAC wiring but an artefact of the capacitance of the wiring to the light switch (from the ceiling junction box). In a typical home, this will be about six to eight metres of sheathed twin cable and this can be expected to have a capacitance of maybe 300pF or more.In effect, this cable capacitance across the switch lets the CFL bridge rectifier build up sufficient DC to let the circuit fire the CFL tube, collapsing the DC and letting the cycle repeat ad infinitum. It is acting as a relaxation oscillator.
While you are aware of the flashing effect only at night, it happens all the time. If it worries you, it could be stopped by connecting a small capacitor across the CFL socket, say .01mF (10nF) 250VAC class X2. Alternatively, the effect could probably be stopped if the cable to the switch was changed to "twin and earth".
This leakage capacitance effect also occurs with incandescent lamps (and any other load for that matter) but it is of academic interest only.