CD4066 switch resistance.

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
As i said, CD4066 not working well because its permanently shorting this 2 pads...
You did not tell us that the CD4066 is permanenly shorting its contacts. Instead you told us that its on-resistance is too high.

Then the CD4066 is defective or you forgot to connect the GND of the CD4066 to the GND of the microcontroller circuit.

The switch contacts of the CD4066 must have a voltage that is between its GND to its positive supply. Then it should work to make a logic high in the microcontroller circuit for 5 seconds if the GND of the CD4066 is connected to the GND of the microcontroller circuit.

When the 555 output and the control pin 13 of the CD4066 go almost to GND after the 5 seconds timing then the contacts of the CD4066 should be open, not conducting.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
You did not tell us that the CD4066 is permanenly shorting its contacts. Instead you told us that its on-resistance is too high.

Then the CD4066 is defective or you forgot to connect the GND of the CD4066 to the GND of the microcontroller circuit.

The switch contacts of the CD4066 must have a voltage that is between its GND to its positive supply. Then it should work to make a logic high in the microcontroller circuit for 5 seconds if the GND of the CD4066 is connected to the GND of the microcontroller circuit.

When the 555 output and the control pin 13 of the CD4066 go almost to GND after the 5 seconds timing then the contacts of the CD4066 should be open, not conducting.
I'd like to know how the button suddenly fried itself off the circuit board...wait, never mind. I don't want to know ;)

Audioguru

Joined Dec 20, 2007
so, between pin1 and pin2 should have zero ohm ?
No.
It should be open (infinite ohms) when the control pin 13 is nearly at GND when the 555 has timed out.
When the CD4066 has a supply that is 5V and the control pin 13 is high then the on-resistance between pin 1 and pin 2 is a maximum of 1050 ohms, but might be as low as 220 ohms. The on-resistance is less when its power supply voltage is higher.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
No.
It should be open (infinite ohms) when the control pin 13 is nearly at GND when the 555 has timed out.
When the CD4066 has a supply that is 5V and the control pin 13 is high then the on-resistance between pin 1 and pin 2 is a maximum of 1050 ohms, but might be as low as 220 ohms. The on-resistance is less when its power supply voltage is higher.
To add to what Audioguru has said:

The reason I was asking whether the switch on the circuit board was connected to a microcontroller is because a microcontroller is reading a control signal from the switch, in other words, the '4066 might have a few hundred ohms in its "on" state, but it doesn't matter, since you're not physically switching the power supply lines themselves.

Do you understand my point?

TheDag

Joined Jan 1, 2010
OK Understood...
Anyway, i think its connected to microcontroller...
not sure.
Man, I So want it to work.....

TheDag

Joined Jan 1, 2010
OK, News.....
If im shorting the upper pad of the switch, to the battery+ of the device for 4 seconds, its power up....
Its important somehow ?

Thanks.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
Then you should be able to use the circuit i posted in post #33, i.e. collector of Q2 connects to your upper pad. Use all 22K resistors instead of the values in the picture.

TheDag

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Thanks, but maybe Its can somehow work with CD4066?
Because the parts its more available, than the Circuit you gave me

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
I don´t understand why a 4066 would be more available than 2 transistors and 4 resistors.
You could try the 4066, maybe it will work. Connect it´s supply to the battery voltage, and use a 22k resistor to connect the output of the 555 to the control input of the 4066. You can also try parallelling all the four switches together to get lower resistance. Try it an report back.

Also is your 555 circuit powered from the 12V that´s in the schematic?

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
If that doesn´t work, try powering it from the 12V supply. Also check the 4066 with a meter if it actually works and the resistance between A and B changes.

TheDag

Joined Jan 1, 2010
Yes,
BTW, The bluetooth device is not working now...
Do you have schematic thats act like this Bluetooth device for testing ?

Thanks.

kubeek

Joined Sep 20, 2005
That would be the right half of the circuit, i.e. switch1 and R1, but the value of R1 is a guess so you would need to measure it.

PaulEE

Joined Dec 23, 2011
Please authorize me
dag and kubeek,

I suggested the '4066 because it consumes next to no current. If you hook power up to it and properly drive the enable line, it's a fine solution.

The two transistor route is also a perfectly fine solution.

dag,

I was under the impression that power consumption was a BIG factor in your design. IF you've suddenly changed your mind, either solution will work wonderfully.

As batteries die, the '4066 may continue to work where the transistors might not as well. I am not positive about that, though.