cd4026 current

garumel

Joined Jul 24, 2011
Hello ,this is my first post here. I am playing around with the cd4026be in a counter circuit with 7 segment LED running @ 5V.I am not using dropping resistors to the LED, as I have read that they are not needed as the IC is low output. So the 7 segment has good intensity, and has been running about a week. I measured the current in one segment, it was 2.6 ma. The specs for the LED are-3.2vf,25ma max, but it looks good at 2.6 ma .Ok so the data sheet on the 4026 reads about 1ma out @ 5v. So my question is , am I overdriving the 4026 with 2.6ma to the LED? It seems to have done ok so far but would it be short lived to run it that way 24/7. Thanks in advance.

garumel

Joined Jul 24, 2011
Thank you very much MRCHIPS, I am still learning about these kind of things. I do a lot of research to try to get as much information as I can on my own so as not to ask mundane questions.
Have been lurking here for a while, and this seems like a very good forum with lots of knowledge here. I have done several projects from this forum, lots of schematics and ideas. Thanks again.
G.R.