CCTV CAMERA WIRING

dougalere

Joined Mar 4, 2015
Hi
bit of a long shot in the hope that someone can shed some light on a mystery.
Im sure I get more cautious as I get older.

I'm repairing a pair of new cameras for a friend that have had the cables and plugs destroyed by the family pet, the original cables were 5 core-- yellow for the video, two blacks and two reds (to power supply) in the camera head.

While the new cable/plugs is 3 core--yellow black and red,
the original wiring seems a bit strange, the two reds and two blacks,instead of being linked in the camera, are brought down to the cable split and joined there- a distance of only half a metre.

As these are power cables and flimsy at best, i wondered why they would do this, and am I ok to join the reds etc in the camera.?to get the 5 wires to 3 .

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Are you telling us that the the two reds are joined together, and the two blacks are joined together? If so, then I don't see why you couldn't join them inside the camera. I assume both pairs carry the same voltage?

dougalere

Joined Mar 4, 2015
thanks brownout
yes the reds and the blacks are fed from the same power supply,
the only reason i can see is a production issue.
i know sometimes its expedient to double up on cables to increase current
capacity,but these are only short cables, the 20metre extention cable has only one of each colour of smaller diameter,
regards
doug

tom_s

Joined Jun 27, 2014
there may have been some ptz (pan/tilt/zoom) function as well but as its tied to the power, nothing to worry about, 3 wires is fine