CCTV CAMERA WIRING

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by dougalere, Jul 10, 2015.

1. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Hi
    bit of a long shot in the hope that someone can shed some light on a mystery.
    Im sure I get more cautious as I get older.

I'm repairing a pair of new cameras for a friend that have had the cables and plugs destroyed by the family pet, the original cables were 5 core-- yellow for the video, two blacks and two reds (to power supply) in the camera head.

While the new cable/plugs is 3 core--yellow black and red,
    the original wiring seems a bit strange, the two reds and two blacks,instead of being linked in the camera, are brought down to the cable split and joined there- a distance of only half a metre.

As these are power cables and flimsy at best, i wondered why they would do this, and am I ok to join the reds etc in the camera.?to get the 5 wires to 3 .

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 10, 2015
  2. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    Are you telling us that the the two reds are joined together, and the two blacks are joined together? If so, then I don't see why you couldn't join them inside the camera. I assume both pairs carry the same voltage?

3. dougalere

Thread Starter Member

Mar 4, 2015
    thanks brownout
    yes the reds and the blacks are fed from the same power supply,
    the only reason i can see is a production issue.
    i know sometimes its expedient to double up on cables to increase current
    capacity,but these are only short cables, the 20metre extention cable has only one of each colour of smaller diameter,
    regards
    doug

4. Brownout

Jan 10, 2012
    I agree.

5. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    It looks like one R/B pair feeds the camera itself and the other R/B pair feeds the IR led panel.

6. tom_s

Jun 27, 2014
    there may have been some ptz (pan/tilt/zoom) function as well but as its tied to the power, nothing to worry about, 3 wires is fine