CC and CV mode implementation

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ravenghost, Mar 17, 2016.

1. Ravenghost

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 17, 2016
    I'm working on a project where i need to charge multiple li-ion cells. I'm thinking of buck converter circuit powered by ac-dc 24V 1A wall adapter and controlled by Atmega328P MC PWM. I've covered theory behind li-ion battery charging, buck converters, PWM. I believe constant voltage mode implementation is quite straight forward. A simple voltage divider to get feedback voltage to ADC and Rsense resistor with current sense amp to ADC adjusting PWM duty cycle to keep stable voltage while checking current drop to 10% to cut off power(correct me if i'm wrong about this). But i'm unsure how to approach constant current mode.

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    You can use the same Rsense resistor to limit the current during the initial charge

3. Ravenghost

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 17, 2016
    How can i limit current with Rsense resistor?

4. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    You limit it with your PWM. You just read the Rsense with the A-D and change the duty cycle to keep the current constant at less than 1C and less than 4.2 volts. Once the voltage rises to 4.2 volts you can then monitor Rsense until the current drops to about .07C.
    Here is a pretty good write up.
    http://powerelectronics.com/site-fi...archive/powerelectronics.com/mag/504PET23.pdf

Ravenghost likes this.
  5. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    You know the resistance, then if you measure the voltage drop across the resistor with your ADC, you can calculate the current = V/R. Then use PWM to control current.

6. SLK001

Nov 29, 2011
    You limit the current the same way you limit the voltage, only you get your sense from a resistor. "OR" the current control to the voltage control.