CB Handheld Radio Sensor

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by zorpholex, Jan 11, 2013.

1. zorpholex

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Okay, heres my idea...

I want to create a sensor that would detect when a person walked by with a walkie talkie or like those large handheld CB radios.

(sorry i don't know what they are called and i am obviously not very knowledgable about radio stuff)

Do these things constantly emit a signal that could be detected at short range only???

My other concern is that i would only be able to detect the radio waves when the people are talking. I want the sensor to be placed in a hallway or doorway and then it will send a signal to another reciever in a different location which will emitt an alarm to notify the other people that a person with one of these devices has walked by, but it does not detect a person without one.

Please let me know if you think this idea would work for ANY type of walkie talkie, cb radio, or something similar. thanks!
  2. wayneh

Sep 9, 2010
    This is a lot broader than your initial request for CB detection. Question: Would an RF detector, with some window of frequencies, be OK, or do you need to specifically detect certain devices (cb versus walkie talkie and so on)?

Maybe you just need a bug detector.
  3. zorpholex

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 11, 2012
    I think an RF detector would be good. Does it detect when they are not transmitting?
    It needs to detect only at short range... sayy 10 meters?

Bug detector sounds like what im looking for ...what is that!?
  4. DickCappels

Aug 21, 2008
    Sounds like a police detector or a security guard detector. Most likely, you will only be able to detect it when its transmitting. Modern lower power receivers don't emit much at all.