Caution about Firefox 3.0.1

Discussion in 'Computing and Networks' started by beenthere, Aug 30, 2008.

1. beenthere

Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    I just installed this latest version. It looks good, but is a bit touchy. While leaving a Bookmark folder highlighted, I spazed with the mouse and the folder has gone away. No real idea of what I did.

The Mozilla search is also down, so it may be awhile before I can find out what went wrong. Oh, well, just my "personal interest" folder.

2. beenthere

Apr 20, 2004
    Update on the above - the lost folder got folded up into my "office supplies" folder, and now comes right after drafting film. No clue as to what I did.

I also managed to put on enough updates and downloads for Freebasic that I exceeded the ISP's limit on bytes transferred, so things are very slow for a bit.

3. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    I know a few people who have had a few moments with FF3. I have it on my system but rarely use it, so although I have had no issues with it or extensions, I am not one to give an honest account of it.

Dave

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    It's funny, I've been experimenting with Firefox, just before I saw this thread. I looked at the Help/About section, and they mentioned update to 2.0.0.16, so I did. After installing it it claimed it was the latest version of Firefox... ???

The update was just before this post.

Just curious, is the Ver. 3 a beta?

5. beenthere

Apr 20, 2004
    Not according to Mozilla. The appearance is altered from earlier versions.

6. Dave

Retired Moderator

Nov 17, 2003
    No version 3 is final. I know several people who have had problems and rolled back. My advice to anyone embarking on using a brand-new version of software, i.e. those characterised by a new version shift - 1.x to 2.x for example, that they back-up the directories, completely uninstall (including via the user-specified folders) and reinstall from scratch.

Dave

7. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Too Late. It came up with a notice while I was out doing volunteer phone work for Jerry Lewis, and I blithely clicked update. I'll let you know how it went.

Since it isn't my primary browser no big deal either way.