Case - Box

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
Hello guys,

I m getting my project complete with a two or three boards. I connect them together for output.

I have two things remaining.

1.Case it and put screws to hold it.

Now I dont have drill machine and other tools to put it in a case and make it a product.

Question: Anything available in market which will help me give a case and screw the boards to hold it nice and tight.

thanks,
jis

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I sometimes use old cookie tins, the rectangular ones with removable lids. The metal is thin enough to easily make holes in, to screw in the components.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
I sometimes use old cookie tins, the rectangular ones with removable lids. The metal is thin enough to easily make holes in, to screw in the components.
I was just at the store "5 below" and saw that they had a whole selection for a few bucks each. Otherwise, RadioShack has real project boxes.

As for the holes, you will have to bite the bullet sometime and buy a drill. Even a small drill will get you started and buy a stepper drill bit $20 to $40 depending on size and quality. It might rip a thin cookie tin apart but makes reasonable holes in most other plastic and steel.

Good tools will last a lifetime. I have never regretted buying a good tool. I have only regretted spending too little on bad tools.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You can also custom design a box in CAD software and send it in for 3D printing. Various companies available on-line. It will cost $40 to $100 depending on size, thickness and material choice.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
If you really don't want to use a drill, you can back the thin metal of the cookie tin with a block of wood, and drive an awl (or a nail, or center punch) through the metal with a hammer. There are even punches that will do a better job than a drill, but they're not cheap.

jismagic

Joined Sep 7, 2013
thank you, that helps.

Not sure if i have to make a new post for this.
I also have a requirement for a 16 spst switches in a case. Is there any switch box available with terminal boards so that i can reuse for other applications.
I can make one but if it s already avble i can buy one.

thanks
jis

sirch2

Joined Jan 21, 2013
You can make holes in a plastic box with a small screwdriver, a hot nail or just screw a sharp screw straight into it with enough pressure.