Cascaded OP-AMP Question (GBWP).

Chuffed

Joined Sep 9, 2015
"An op amp has a GBWP of 1MHz. Design a circuit that uses only two of these op amps, to yield a gain of 2, and a BW of 1MHz."

Just started learning about this subject, but I cannot figure this out. With GBWP - the more you increase the gain, the more it cuts the BW right? Even with two of these amplifiers cascaded, is this possible? We were also taught that the "weakest link determines the BW for the circuit." So anything more than a gain of 1 drops the BW below that 1MHz. Can't find anything in the text, the instructor came up with this problem. I assume that this could be a typo, but I won't be able to ask him for a while.
Few things I've tried
-Single Amp
Gain = 2
BW = 1MHz/2 = 500kHz

-2 Amps cascaded
Gain = 2^(1/2)
BW = 1MHz/1.414~ = ~707kHz

Any thoughts?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
You are correct.
Any gain greater than a (plus or non-inverting) 1 will reduce the bandwidth below 1 MHz from an op amp with a GBWP of 1 MHz.
Certainly adding op amps in series with increase the bandwidth for a given overall gain, but you can never reach a bandwidth equal to the op amp GBWP at a gain greater than 1.

GopherT

Joined Nov 23, 2012
You are correct.
Any gain greater than a (plus or non-inverting) 1 will reduce the bandwidth below 1 MHz from an op amp with a GBWP of 1 MHz.
Certainly adding op amps in series with increase the bandwidth for a given overall gain, but you can never reach a bandwidth equal to the op amp GBWP at a gain greater than 1.
The OP mentioned "cascade" but is question, in quotes, does not say "cascaded". It simply asks for a circuit with two op-amps to achieve gain of 2 at 1MHz. I haven't looked into this option but could the two op amps be configured as a bridge to make this happen?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The OP mentioned "cascade" but is question, in quotes, does not say "cascaded". It simply asks for a circuit with two op-amps to achieve gain of 2 at 1MHz. I haven't looked into this option but could the two op amps be configured as a bridge to make this happen?
Don't see how, but show me the circuit. ;)

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
The inverting amp with a gain of -1 will have a bandwidth equivalent to a non-inverting gain of 2 or 500kHz, so that won't get you there either. :rolleyes:

Chuffed

Joined Sep 9, 2015
So I was able to talk to the professor about the question. He says it is not a typo, and that it is possible to do.
So, back to square one. Seem kind of stuck again. Going to have to go read some more.

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008
So I was able to talk to the professor about the question. He says it is not a typo, and that it is possible to do.
So, back to square one. Seem kind of stuck again. Going to have to go read some more.
Well, I think he's blowing smoke. :rolleyes:
There's no way to get a gain greater than 1 from an op amp without reducing the bandwidth.

Russmax

Joined Sep 3, 2015
There's a way, but it seems like it's cheating.

GopherT and #12 both showed a circuit that almost works, except the inverting op amp only has 500 KHz BW.
Take that circuit and put a C in parallel with the 10K input resistor (R2 in GopherT's circuit) to create a zero in the inverting transfer function at 1 MHz. Just to make it still somewhat your work, I'm not going to tell you what value of C to use. You have to calculate that.

This will fight the 500 KHz pole of the inverting configuration and extend the frequency response of the inverting amp by 1 octave (doubling), when it bumps again against the unity-gain bandwidth. Then both the inverting and non-inverting op amps will have a BW of 1 MHz, and can add their gains together to get a gain of 2.

At least Spectre thinks so.

Regards

Chuffed

Joined Sep 9, 2015

GopherT and #12 both showed a circuit that almost works, except the inverting op amp only has 500 KHz BW.
Take that circuit and put a C in parallel with the 10K input resistor (R2 in GopherT's circuit) to create a zero in the inverting transfer function at 1 MHz. Just to make it still somewhat your work, I'm not going to tell you what value of C to use. You have to calculate that.

This will fight the 500 KHz pole of the inverting configuration and extend the frequency response of the inverting amp by 1 octave (doubling), when it bumps again against the unity-gain bandwidth. Then both the inverting and non-inverting op amps will have a BW of 1 MHz, and can add their gains together to get a gain of 2.

At least Spectre thinks so.

Regards
Know of any sites that I could visit to do some reading on this?

crutschow

Joined Mar 14, 2008

Good thinking out of the box (which I was stuck in). :oops:

It's only cheating if it's not allowed by the rules and the professor didn't state any, so that's perhaps the type of circuit he intended to solve the problem,

Chuffed

Joined Sep 9, 2015
Nevermind about my last post. Something just clicked while re-reading your post. Going to go play with some numbers.

Russmax

Joined Sep 3, 2015
Good luck, Chuffed.
When I thought of it, I thought, "That will never work." Then I simulated it and it worked, so I learned something, which is cool.

I don't have any particular website for you to visit. There are some good ones, I bet. This is just general amplifier feedback theory, aided by 30 years experience trying to finagle amplifiers to do things.

Regards

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
"An op amp has a GBWP of 1MHz. Design a circuit that uses only two of these op amps, to yield a gain of 2, and a BW of 1MHz."
Any thoughts?
Here is an open loop response of an opamp that has a GBWP of 1e6:

114a.gif

Note Gain at 10Khz, 100Khz and 1MHz.

Closing the loop two different ways, note that the BW (when gain is down by -3db) is 500kHz for the gain of -1, and 1MHz for the follower. The BW of the difference is actually 666kHz, so the problem goals have not been met...

114b.gif