Cascaded D Type Flip-Flops

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by carpboy, Nov 28, 2010.

1. carpboy

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 11, 2010
    I'm working on a project where I am cascading flip-flops on some LS74's. Q' is tied back to the data pin. The scope on the first stage one has a nice output, all as expected w/ 1 kHz input (NMOS). When I add in the 2nd device of the IC my output waveform of the 2nd device is not 50% duty time but actually 2/3.

If I cascade to a device on a different IC the waverform of that output is a perfect divide-by-4. Trying both devices on a different IC resulted in the 2/3 waveform again.

Can anyone give some clues as to what may be going on here? I've tried various sized caps across the 5 VDC and ground, 0.03u though 0.6u.

Thanks.

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Have you tied all inputs to one of the power supplies? TTL is unusual in that it will assume a high on an open input, but generally it is a good idea to make sure all inputs to gates are connected to one logic level or another.

If you post a schematic we could be of more help.

3. carpboy

Sep 11, 2010
    Hi Bill,

Attached is a sim screen cap of what I am doing.

5V from an LM3805 powers an NMOS amp. 1 kHz square wave from my PC into this amp gives a real solid 0-5 V square wave. The PC soundcard output is coupled though a 0.1u cap. The NMOS output has a 90 nF cap across it and ground as I was getting unseen transients.

My goal is to make a stupid simple 4 stage cascade using D type FF's. I have several LS74's on hand.

Input to FF1 and output perfect. I then take that output and put it into FF2 (on the same IC) and the output duty cycle is not 50/50.

If I take FF1 output and cascade to an FF on a different IC the output is perfect.

I did get it to work but it was strange:

IC1 FF1 to IC2 FF1 to IC2 FF2 to IC1 FF2.

When I hooked up the 3rd stage (IC2 FF2) I had the bad output. I noticed that the ground of this IC (pin 7) was connected to the other IC pin 7 (which of course itself was jumpered to the ground bus).

I moved the ground jumper on IC2 pin 7 from IC1 pin 7 right to the ground bus. Voila, the output was perfect.

Finishing off and adding stage 4, all still good. If I put the IC2 pin 7 jumper back to IC1 pin 7 bad output again.

So I have no idea what is going on here. Everything sits in a typical proto board.

Thanks.

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
  5. carpboy

Sep 11, 2010
    Thanks. They happen to be TI's. I was looking at a Fairchild sheet and didn't notice the two flavors. However, these are N's and the pins are as expected.