Cascade Power filter (spining meter backward)

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Ripplenwinder, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Ripplenwinder

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    I was making a cascade filter for my recording equipment and computer equipment and came up with this I have not built this exact one yet (need a 100uf capacitor) but I installed just the lowpass section from this schematic in my power conditioner. I measured the frequency response and it rolls off around 1000 hz (the lowpass section). My recording equipment (when everything is commonly plugged into this and ungrounded) went from -69 dbm to less then -90dbm. I got the idea to do the coil like that of a humbucking pick in a guitar. I figured the roll off point was much better then I expect because coil in this configuration adds more series resistance. Also in recording equipment ground loop and the like are a problem and voltage flowing in the opposite direction would not be allowed to build up (ground loops are a for of oscillation and take time to build up) as the induced voltage in the coil is flowing the oppisite direction. I thought anyone with sensitive equipment could make use of this or improve on it.

The low to high pass will change with load but I you will not see much attenuation at 60hz till you pull 15 or more amps.

Also the current flows 180 degrees out of phase so wouldn't this make you meter spin backwards? both tina and multisim show that it very well should. The value of 380uh is not what you would actually get.

NONAME.JPG

2. tcmtech

Nov 4, 2013
    Build it and find out. I am curious to see if it works in reality. :D

3. Ripplenwinder

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 17, 2015
    Correction I believe you would need a 330uf capacitor in place of the 100uf in order pull 15 amps before much attenuation of 60hz.