Cargo Dc motor

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
These days we guyz are working on a wireless camera controlled cargo car...the problem we guyz are facing is tht which DC motor i'll use to carry 300KG load...and has the Max speed of 50-60 KM/hr....which will be controlled by a battery...

Plz help which motor can carry this much load....?? Plz Help

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
See if you can find a used golf cart motor. That should do the trick.

You will have to check the specifications of the motor, but you may need 36v or 48v or even more to run it. That means 3, 4, or more large-capacity deep-cycle lead-acid batteries. Automotive batteries might work for short bursts, but will quickly be destroyed if discharged more than about 10% without being immediately recharged.

Deep-cycle batteries can stand being discharged perhaps 30% without too much life reduction.

If you run deep-cycle batteries down to 50% charge, you will reduce their lifespan to 1/3 to 1/5 that of normal.

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
if i use a automotive 12v 96AH battery will that work?? i guess we'll need to add a circuit which will increase its voltage....btw thanks...m searching for it..can u tell how much rpm or hp it should have if i cant find tht golf cart motor??

Last edited:

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
if i attach one more PM motor to its wheel which will act as a dynamo nd produce electricity while tht cart is moving nd keep the batteries charged....will this idea work?? it sounds a good idea...;)

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
No, a single battery would have to put out too much current.

You would have to have enough batteries to produce the voltage that the motor needs to develop it's rated torque/horsepower.

Here is a Google search for a large USA golf cart manufacturer:
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...aqi=g-s1g2g-s1g2g-s1g3&aql=&oq=ezgo+&gs_rfai=

You can find what the motors are rated for.

No, you cannot use a dynamo to charge the battery/batteries while moving. You would use more power trying to run the dynamo than you would get back in charging the battery/batteries. Besides, charging lead-acid batteries is at best an 80% efficient process; more typically 75% efficient.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
What distance needs to be traveled? What life is expected? Are you well funded? Just a gut feeling: One to 1.5 kW, 12 or 24V. If desperate two car starter motors would do it- driving tho wheels-saving on a differential.

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
What distance needs to be traveled? What life is expected? Are you well funded? Just a gut feeling: One to 1.5 kW, 12 or 24V. If desperate two car starter motors would do it- driving tho wheels-saving on a differential.

The Distance is variable...ummm i can reduce its weight to 150 Kg...now??
Is it possible with the motors of electric scooters?

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
Distance is variable from what low distance to what high distance?

You really need to better define the requirements before we can even start to help you with ideas.

Keep in mind that the motor, batteries, wheels, frame, etc. will count towards the total weight. Increasing the distance will increase the size of the batteries needed, which will increase the size of the motor, and tires, and frame - you get into a spiral quite quickly.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
A pair of 450 W motors would easily move an unknown load for an unknown distance @ 30 km/hr. Look at: All Electronics motors, # DCM-1503, 450W, 24V DC, 28A, with clutch; or DCM-1353, DCM-1350, DCM-1350, with clutch, DCM-636, & MSP-150, 24V-40A speed control.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
aq_rules;
We don't know where in the world you are. You should at least put your country in your profile.

If Bernard gave you a link to a supplier on the other side of the planet from you, it would not do you any good, as the shipping costs would likely be more than the motor itself.

Bernard

Joined Aug 7, 2008
Just to show what is available: https://www.allelectronics.com If in India, as Sgt said ,might be a little costly in shipping. I had problems in just shipping a small package to Canada from USA. There was a discussion some time back on AAC about using starter motors for other uses- do not remember outcome.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You REALLY want to look into golf-cart and electric-buggy design.

There are components and motors you can buy off-the-shelf to handle your design easily. The carts we use around the zoo here in Baltimore, uses regenerative braking to help keep the batteries going during long drives.

As for your weight requirements.. You HAVE to figure the weight of your battery bank and your motor in your design and motor selection.

Also consider the terrain of the course the cart will be navigating. This will be a major factor in choosing power requirements. Uphill, soft terrain obviously requires more power (and therefore more battery capacity) than a level, hard terrain, and also will determine your choice of tire. A thin, highly inflated tire for a smooth, hard surface has tremendously less rolling resistance than the soft balloon tire you would need for a sandy, hilly terrain.

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
What kind of terrain does this machine need to cross? As Newton demonstrated, once the load is up to speed, the power needed to keep it moving is zero! But in the real world, you have to go up and down hills, and even crossing a few little bumps needs some power. But if you were riding on steel wheels on a level railroad track, you'd be close to the ideal. So you haven't described the problem.

aq_rules

Joined Oct 28, 2009
forget the load if i'd be sitting and controlling it with the race pedals and breaks...fixing tyres of a golf cart in it..

Bychon

Joined Mar 12, 2010
Forgetting is within our abilities. We simply can not do equasions without information. (Even a guess is better than nothing.)