Career advice - when to stand on principle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Hahahaha I love the owner that promises everything. I didn't even work in the tech repair dept on my last gig and I was told 4 times in 4 months please fix this network the whole systems down, if you can get it working I'll give you $200. or whatever he was offering. I'd say ok and break it down, replace any hardware with temp hardware till he could run to store and buy it, and I'd fix and setting or admin stuff that needed to be fixed. Everytime I'd fix it in like 20-30 min he wouldn't give me any money at all. Then he would call his wanna be on contract tech repair guy that would then go buy the part I replaced, then come and replace it and get paid. After 4 times of this idiot preacher/PC repair guy getting paid for my work I stopped offering and just said call your boy. That led to down times of 30 min going to down times of 15hours-50hours. Finally this guy comes in and gets promoted and screws the whole system up to the point the company can't take payments, no accounting, no nothing. Owner didn't wanna blame his preacher IT friend who was a HS novice so he tried talking crap to me. So were slammed all the systems are malfunctioning because of his new software he's putting in, yet he forgot to import the previous customer database. Well by the end of the day me and owner were about to trade blows and he fired me. Well it turns out he was so cheap all those parts I had bought and replaced through out the previous year or two were unpaid for. I started to leave and remembered that. I then went back in and just started tearing apart computers removing motherboards, PSU's, touch screens, mice, KB's, etc.. By the next day he was texting me crying saying he didn't mean to **** me off but he'd never had anyone laugh in his face while he was yelling at them, and blah blah blah. I just wished him good luck. Although that didn't work because he was out of biz within 3 months.

GetDeviceInfo

Joined Jun 7, 2009
Hahahaha I love the owner that promises everything. I didn't even work in the tech repair dept on my last gig and I was told 4 times in 4 months please fix this network the whole systems down, if you can get it working I'll give you $200. or whatever he was offering. I'd say ok and break it down, replace any hardware with temp hardware till he could run to store and buy it, and I'd fix and setting or admin stuff that needed to be fixed. Everytime I'd fix it in like 20-30 min he wouldn't give me any money at all. Then he would call his wanna be on contract tech repair guy that would then go buy the part I replaced, then come and replace it and get paid. After 4 times of this idiot preacher/PC repair guy getting paid for my work I stopped offering and just said call your boy. That led to down times of 30 min going to down times of 15hours-50hours. Finally this guy comes in and gets promoted and screws the whole system up to the point the company can't take payments, no accounting, no nothing. Owner didn't wanna blame his preacher IT friend who was a HS novice so he tried talking crap to me. So were slammed all the systems are malfunctioning because of his new software he's putting in, yet he forgot to import the previous customer database. Well by the end of the day me and owner were about to trade blows and he fired me. Well it turns out he was so cheap all those parts I had bought and replaced through out the previous year or two were unpaid for. I started to leave and remembered that. I then went back in and just started tearing apart computers removing motherboards, PSU's, touch screens, mice, KB's, etc.. By the next day he was texting me crying saying he didn't mean to **** me off but he'd never had anyone laugh in his face while he was yelling at them, and blah blah blah. I just wished him good luck. Although that didn't work because he was out of biz within 3 months.
that's bad, really bad.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
*shrug* don't know who sh!t in your cornflakes Brownout
Part of being respected at work and getting premium wages will be to exhibit maturity that shows your employer that you're worth his investiment. Your employer isn't going to pony up the money you are asking for if he thinks you aren't mature enough to handle yourself appropriately. Some of the maturity involves dealing with opinions you don't necessarily agree with in an adult manner. Gratuitous or snide remarks like the one above demonstarte a lack of maturity. You probably want to take care of that if you expect to advance.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Part of being respected at work and getting premium wages will be to exhibit maturity that shows your employer that you're worth his investiment. Your employer isn't going to pony up the money you are asking for if he thinks you aren't mature enough to handle yourself appropriately. Some of the maturity involves dealing with opinions you don't necessarily agree with in an adult manner. Gratuitous or snide remarks like the one above demonstarte a lack of maturity. You probably want to take care of that if you expect to advance.
Its also shows that sometimes a person is worth their weight in gold. To be fair I was just there as a favor for a friend to try to get them off right. When we were fighting at the end of the day he threatened me and my family with bodily harm. Would you stand for that at a job you don't care about? Would you stand for being threatened? Or would you fight back and stand up for yourself?

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Its also shows that sometimes a person is worth their weight in gold. To be fair I was just there as a favor for a friend to try to get them off right. When we were fighting at the end of the day he threatened me and my family with bodily harm. Would you stand for that at a job you don't care about? Would you stand for being threatened? Or would you fight back and stand up for yourself?

Nobody's family is being threatened, so I can't even guess why this is relevant.

killivolt

Joined Jan 10, 2010
I'm not sure if you thought (Brownout) was referring to you? I think it's the little comment about who p.......... in his?:rolleyes:

What ever remark of the OP.

If your asking a question? Sometimes it's better to walk away and just let nature take it's course, as in the case above stating your actions. Maybe you would have seen him in ruin anyway. Sounds like he really didn't have his act together.

Chances are maybe he would have worked his guts out trying to save it, which to me would be more tortures, instead of you abruptly ending the inevitable. Either works but, somehow things can bite us in the butt, in the end.

I meant it. (Sorry) But, I was teased to deviation:p

Last edited:

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Nobody's family is being threatened, so I can't even guess why this is relevant.
Yes it was when I was quitting. How would you take it if your boss ran up to you punched your car enough to leave a dent, started randomly screaming at you? All I could do is laugh and say are you F'n serious? I started laughing over it and punched his car rolling my eyes. I say F' off I'm leaving call me when you wanna settle up. He then makes a gun gesture at me as I'm getting in my car and says "Remember I know where you live!" I then got right back out of the car and said draw then XXXXXX, pushed him out of the way, got my equipment and left. Police got involved, they asked if I wanted to press charges, and even more BS happened that made it a huge event. So yes I would say that qualifies as threatening me and my family.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
If not sure if you thought he (Brownout) was referring to you? I think it's the little comment about who p.......... in his?:rolleyes:

What ever remark of the OP.

If your asking a question? Sometimes it's better to walk away and just let nature take it's course, as in the case above stating your actions. Maybe you would have seen him in ruin anyway. Sounds like he really didn't have his act together.

Chances are maybe he would have worked his guts out trying to save it, which to me would been more tortures, than for you to abruptly end the inevitable. Either works but, somehow things can bite us in the butt, in the end.

I meant it. (Sorry) But, I was teased to deviation:p
Nah he was an idiot. Ran the biz into the ground by thinking he knew what he was doing and wouldn't listen to anyone who actually did know what they were doing. I was happy to be fired. Like I said I was only working there cause I was bored and could help them tremendously and was grossly overqualified. He was cheap, screwed me on money, tried to fight me, made a gun gesture at me saying he knew where I lived. Thats not stuff you should put up with at a work place. And I've worked in some shady industries.

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
Yes it was when I was quitting. How would you take it if your boss ran up to you punched your car enough to leave a dent, started randomly screaming at you? All I could do is laugh and say are you F'n serious? I started laughing over it and punched his car rolling my eyes. I say F' off I'm leaving call me when you wanna settle up. He then makes a gun gesture at me as I'm getting in my car and says "Remember I know where you live!" I then got right back out of the car and said draw then XXXXXX, pushed him out of the way, got my equipment and left. Police got involved, they asked if I wanted to press charges, and even more BS happened that made it a huge event. So yes I would say that qualifies as threatening me and my family.
Poor judgement on your part. Should have bailed when you didn't get paid the first time. Should have gotten the police involved for denting your car. If he's the type that retaliates for calling the cops, you shouldn't have done anything for him to start with.

It takes two to tango.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Poor judgement on your part. Should have bailed when you didn't get paid the first time. Should have gotten the police involved for denting your car. If he's the type that retaliates for calling the cops, you shouldn't have done anything for him to start with.

It takes two to tango.
He's the one who called the cops! But it turned out it wasn't the real cops is was his friend who was on duty in another district. This is the whole bunch more BS. The guy then threatened to kill me in front of the cop and the cop was having to push him back. To be fair I dented his car after he dented mine, but he started it so I asked the copper to press charges about the dent. He amazingly didn't see the dents on either car then begged me just to leave. I had already left and gotten called back saying the cops were there so I went back. So he keeps freaking out making gun gestures at me while the cops pushing him back begging me to leave. I laughed at the cop pulling out saying hes a psycho and threatens me and you can't even do anything about it? and then drove home. Even more drama. I call the PD and tell them the story of what happened the day before and the cops name and all that. They say they have no record of anything happening at that address and basically treat me like crap, suggesting that I'm full of crap for 45 min. Then a dispatcher finds the GPS readings and the cops name was wrong, he had given me a false name. But the dispatch realized by looking at the GPS that that unit was out of district for an extended period of time. Then it was Mr. This and Mr. That. I then had to decide on the fly to press charges which would be assault on property, threatening bodily harm, and something else saying he would most likely do time, then I would have to give a full statement to the cops about the other cop. I had to think long and hard on it and decided to just drop it as it laid.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
My point about the post is the thread is titled. When do you take a stand on principle. I though my story showed an extreme example of how crazy some mng / ownership can be and when I made my stand. Take from it what you will. Its completely true, and happened exactly the way I said it did. Its been a good year or so and he's terrified of me. As I said before I took the yob as a favor for friend so we know mutual people. And he was warned not to get into my face and try to berate me or push things with me. I let my work speak for myself, I'm not a popular guy or anything like that but in the workplace I tend to dominate. But as I've said in other post's for some reason I'm attracted to idiots so I don't really know what that says about it.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
Originally Posted by Brownout
How are any of my comments related to this? I've not commented on anything you've written about your boss, your job, or any other issue you have. Nothing I've written has anything to do with any of this. Your comments have nothing whatsoever to do with my messages that you're quoting. My comments have all been directed at the original poster and his issues.

I'm attempting to guide the OP, not argue about who was or was not threatened.

Last edited:

Zazoo

Joined Jul 27, 2011
You'll forgive me if I don't treat some passive aggressive little turd on an internet forum with the same respect as an employer - it's a failing of mine.

Brownout

Joined Jan 10, 2012
You'll forgive me if I don't treat some passive aggressive little turd on an internet forum with the same respect as an employer - it's a failing of mine.
I believe that calling members names and using foul language is prohibited by the TOS of the site. If you can't respect the site, I can see how you have problems at work. As I said, you'll want to work on that before you can expect to be treated as a journeyman engineer. You might be a genius, but that alone won't get to to your goal.

Zazoo

Joined Jul 27, 2011
I believe that calling members names and using foul language is prohibited by the TOS of the site. If you can't respect the site, I can see how you have problems at work. As I said, you'll want to work on that before you can expect to be treated as a journeyman engineer. You might be a genius, but that alone won't get to to your goal.
You win. I've wasted enough time on you.

Georacer

Joined Nov 25, 2009
I don't see how any one of you could claim knowledge on each other's ways and daily life.

We give advice here, not ultimatums.

This thread is closed, I hope it served its purpose to an extent.

Go vent off elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.