Care to guess what this is from only a photo?

DWM

Joined May 26, 2015
It's a shot of a costume from the movie Mad Max Fury Road. There's a lot of discussion about how the movie features only older technology, but this one item seems to be the standout and I'd love to hear some expert opinion.

Joes_circuit_medal.jpg

Here is a wider shot, nothing else electronics related but anyway:
http://cdn.hitfix.com/photos/6031236/MAX_gallery_22_gallery_primary.jpg
There's a board there and also a number pad above it. Shape of the board and the number pad have me thinking cordless phone from 2000s earliest. But then there's that large "port" at the one end that doesn't look like a charging point, but rather a cellphone type port. Also there's no place for the numpad membrane or whatever it's called but maybe that's on the backside? Or maybe I'm way off and it's not a phone at all, really don't know and hoping someone here does :).

I signed up just for this, searched and found some circuit ID request threads here and figured I'd try. Being a total outsider I hope it's OK to post this. Apologies if this is somehow not appropriate or considered a waste of people's time since it's certainly nothing important :).

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I agree - the form factor appears like a handheld phone. But I also think it was crafted to look a little like that, but isn't really a phone. The way those pieces are pulled apart to expose wood (or that yellowish stuff) underneath - I think that's done for visual effect.

DWM

Joined May 26, 2015
Thanks. So the board and components, what time period would you say? Can we safely say it's 2000s earliest?

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
The actual parts, or the way they are arranged? The parts, those larger square ICs can probably be identified and placed to a certain window of time when they were in vogue. But the overall visual impression is of something hacked to resemble an older phone.

DWM

Joined May 26, 2015
The actual parts, or the way they are arranged? The parts, those larger square ICs can probably be identified and placed to a certain window of time when they were in vogue. But the overall visual impression is of something hacked to resemble an older phone.
I meant just the actual components on the board, like the ICs you specified, I actually figured someone would be able to tell the most from them. The other components, they are what you call surface mount correct?

Maybe the number pad doesn't even match the board at all. The keys on it are so large, "chunky", I can't imagine a cellphone with keys like that post 2000.

That thing on the right side where the board comes to a point, would that be the speaker you'd put to your ear?

DWM

Joined May 26, 2015
I think it's Hollywood's version of a cell phone. Like from the song: :D
I really don't think it's "faked". It's just a tiny bit of a costume you barely see, if not for an article on the film's costumes on display at an event with closeups I'd never have noticed it. It also has no significance in the film, only obsessive fans like me would bother looking into it :). I really think they just busted something open and used slapped it on there as-is, no modifications.

It looks more cordless handset than cellular but could even contain parts of a point of sale terminal.
Ah, yeah maybe that's what it is, then the keypad being so big makes more sense.

Anyway what it is doesn't matter as much as dating the board to a general period.

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
I really think they just busted something open and used slapped it on there as-is, no modifications.
It's hard to tell from the photo, but I don't see any connections between the modules and no reason for them to be separated by empty space. I don't think it's even close to functional.

DWM

Joined May 26, 2015
Obviously a cell phone, and some modificatinos were done, for example the sim slot is missing. My guess it is a nokia, and form a bit of searching on the nokia musem and googling board pictures I gues it is some very close relative to 6100. See http://img85.imageshack.us/img85/2046/61003100netwslodrdg1.jpg

The keypad could very well come from some aftermarket front cover.
Nice, that's gotta be it or at least something from that family. Someone elsewhere suggested a Nokia phone, guess he was right.

It's hard to tell from the photo, but I don't see any connections between the modules and no reason for them to be separated by empty space. I don't think it's even close to functional.
About the modifications I get what you were all saying now, like bits removed or tacked on but the board mostly intact. I thought people were trying to say it was like an entirely made for the movie fake thing that wasn't ripped out of any device that ever actually existed.

Thank you all.