Carbon footprints and food

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by studiot, Dec 15, 2009.

1. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    Since we are discussing food in off-topic at the moment I thought I would publish a few figures now that supermarkets (Tesco) are putting the carbon footprint on labels. These are all UK figures, so will be different for other countries.

The provide a global total in Kg of carbon dioxide released per tonne of product delivered, including transport and packaging.

Granulated sugar.................870
    Fresh pineapple.................1300
    Jaffa cakes.......................2500
    Tea bags..........................4100
    Cheddar cheese.................9800
    Instant coffee................130000

By comparison road making asphalt is 45 kg/tonne delivered.

2. loosewire

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 25, 2008
    So how does my Instant coffee react In my body,give me some how and whys.

3. Paulo540

Nov 23, 2009
    I love instant coffee, it saves me from going to starbucks, so it should say 129998 instead.

4. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Actually, one tonne (does that mean a metric ton?) of instant coffee saves you approximately a zillion trips to Starbucks. It may likely have a negative carbon footprint by comparison.

In reality, the problem with those numbers is that one is comparing apples to oranges (pineapples to instant coffee). For more meaningful comparisons, at least by casual examination, the denominator should take into consideration a ready-to-use factor. A tonne of instant coffee is a lot (more than 100 tonnes, my version takes 2g for 250 mL) of ready-to-drink coffee. A tonne of granulated sugar is already ready to use. A tonne of asphalt doesn't go very far.

John

5. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Great idea but that won't fly in the US. We have lobbiest who's sole job is to prevent us from knowing this kind of info. :)

6. studiot

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Nov 9, 2007
    John, what is a ready to use factor?

I think the high figure for instant coffee reflects the fact that the unit considered is a glass jar containing 100g. So you have to manufacture 10,000 of these glass jars per tonne of coffee.
    The pineapple unit was one whole fruit.

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    It is common in the US to express dietary values in units/serving. Clearly, the difference between instant coffee and pineapple would be a lot less should one compare a cup of instant coffee (ready to drink) with 2 to 3 slices of pineapple.

I was being somewhat lighthearted in my statement. More seriously, I find such so-called data relatively meaningless, as it is never stated exactly how all contributors to the production are considered. Personally, I don't like or drink instant coffee, so I will rest easier tonight knowing that my Scotch has a lower carbon footprint per tonne.

John