Caravan Battery Charger Resistor.

ss03947

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Hi, I'm a complete noob when it comes to electronics, so decided to search the web for an answer, hence my thread on this forum.

I've recently acquired a caravan which needs a bit work doing to it, & while working on it I've found out that the battery charger doesn't work. A few enquirers advised drilling the pop rivets out of the casing to check the fuse inside, which is OK, but I've noticed a resistor has burnt out. (see photos)

First photo is of the circuit board itself, second a close up of the resistor.

The resistor has R17 marked underneath.

I feel confident in replacing a resistor, problem is I haven't a clue where to get one the same.

Could some member advise me/point me in the right direction, or should I just take it to a computer/television shop.?

Thanks,

SS.

You need a schematic.... where do the traces on the dead resistor go to?
I'd be concerned a fault elsewhere cooked the resistor??
A 20yr old charger.... might be time for a new one in any case.... :)

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Hard to tell from the top picture, but is the large cap opposite the brown and blue wires bulged? If so, it should be replace as well as what ever else is needed to get the unit working.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
Seems a bit fancy for a battery charger, by the electronics, at first glance I would have taken it for a 12v/240vac mains convertor?
I am also guessing, as already mentioned, it is not going to be just a 1/2watt resistor!
One with a linear DC supply would probably be much more rugged.
Max.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I love old technology. It's so flat and spread out that you can actually work on it...but, resistors almost never commit suicide. You are going to find out why this one died before you're done fixing this. Please respond with the chip number of IC3 and that 8 legged chip so we can try to see which design it is.

ss03947

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Please respond with the chip number of IC3 and that 8 legged chip so we can try to see which design it is.
I'm as green as grass with this electric gizmod stuff...IC3, 8 legged chip, could you be more specific please.? :)

SS.

ss03947

Joined Apr 13, 2014
but is the large cap opposite the brown and blue wires bulged?
If you mean the round orange things, they look OK, all the same.

Just noticed members locations, I'm in the UK, I'll up date my profile now.

Thanks,

SS.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
IC3 is labeled on the circuit board, right next to the burnt resistor. Try to read the printing on its flat side.

The 8 legged chip is on the other side of the transformers. Little black guy, 8 legs. Try to read the printing on it.

and the bulgy capacitor is that big sucker, way opposite corner from the burnt resistor.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
At one point I attempted to repair a few defunct PC power supplies and other switching supplies, I quickly came to the conclusion that many of the problems were shorted turns in the switching transformers.
Max.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
Tlc431 is a variable zener diode, you alter the two resistors on its gate to vary the voltage,the resistor (R17) that is burnt out does it connect to the pins on the Tlc431,if so it can be worked out by replacing it with a variable one.

Last edited:

ss03947

Joined Apr 13, 2014
Hi DD, I've taken a couple of photos (front & back) held against the light for you to see, it looks to me that one leg is connected, I could be wrong, you'll know better than me.

Cheers,

SS.

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
Nice photos always help with remote trouble shooting.

As others have said before, the large black cylindrical capacitor labelled 150μF 400V is bulging and must be replaced.

ss03947

Joined Apr 13, 2014
the large black cylindrical capacitor labelled 150μF 400V is bulging and must be replaced
OK...Thanks for that, I've found one on the bay of plenty 321338292331, looks the same, am I right.?

Thanks,

SS.

Dodgydave

Joined Jun 22, 2012
good, looks like R17 is the Anode return path for the LM431, need to know where the track goes to from the LM431 can you post more photos of both sides of the pcb, i think it will go to an opto-coupler, in which case its possible that both the opto and the LM431 have blown.

its possibly similar to this psu design, where U5 is (your IC3,) and (your R17) is the R53.

PS
what is the model of the battery charger, maybe we can get a circuit from google.

Last edited: