Car Relay CC v'age

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by Kedishen, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Kedishen

Thread Starter New Member

Aug 28, 2012
    Hi all

Will the control circuit of a 4pin car relay still function at more than 12v range ie 21v? Load will be 12v range.

Currently

I have fit 3 low consumption fans on the 12v leisure circuit of my camper.

These fans will help cool the solar regulator and the fridge during hot weather.

At the moment they are controlled by inline switches for manual control.

Goal

To only power fan circuit when solar panels are producing more than 12v.

At night, the voltage drops below 12v and during day, voltage is up to 21v (and later I will join 2 panels in series for up to 42v).

Can I achieve this by wiring the control circuit of a bog standard normally open 4pin car relay to the solar wires before solar regulator?

Thanks

Scott

2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Maybe: The Pull-in voltage of a standard automotive relay is about 10V. The Drop-out voltage will be much lower, about 4V. If you put an appropriate value of resistor in series with the coil, it might be possible to make the pull-in ~20V, but then the drop-out would still be 8V, which would happen after the sun went down.

Can you measure or tell us the coil resistance of the relay you intend to use?

One problem I see is that the relay coil current will take a portion of your solar panel's output. An electronic switch circuit could be made much more efficient.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. Kedishen

Aug 28, 2012
    Thank you Mike. I see no further reason to go down the relay route.

Have you an example of an electronic switch circuit that would work or be similar?

4. Kedishen

Aug 28, 2012
  5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009

So the fan(s) should be powered from the +12V battery post, but only when the solar panel voltage is >16V?

6. Kedishen

Aug 28, 2012
    Yes thats about it.

I only want power to the circuit when solar panel sees sunlight, which will produce up to 21v.

On days when I want the fans on, chances are panel will be at full voltage all the time (21v), unless weather is cloudy too but will most of time see at least 13-14v even in British winter.

The purpose for all this is I don't want fans to run at night or during heavy overcast even if I have them switched on. I may not always be there to shut them off and don't want unnecessary battery draw.

Some sort of adjustable thermistor would be ok, but just because its warm in the van doesn't mean its warm outside.

7. Kedishen

Aug 28, 2012
    If i need to keep it in the 12v range, then when solar panel is seeing sun, batteries are at 14.5ish volts and drop to about 13.1 when no sun and fully charged.

In the end I don't care if fans are left on, long as the batteries are being charged at the time.

8. eyesee

Oct 19, 2013
  9. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Here you go.

Turns on at 15.9V; turns off at 15V. Snap action. Hysteresis. Draws less than 1mA from the panel. Drives the PFet with 9V gate signal. Switches 3A.

The PFET is here.

10. cornishlad

Jul 31, 2013
    The actual voltage present at the solar panel output may be a lot lower than is being assumed because they have a fairly high internal resistance. AFAIK 21v is only seen when they are open circuit. You would need to measure the solar voltage when under load - ie charging the battery at a reasonable rate - to be sure of getting the switching point right.

11. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Cornish is right. A panel that has ~21Voc will likely have a mppt of ~13V, so the trip point for the solar voltage present detector could be set lower by using a 10, 11, or 12V Zener in lieu of the 15V one in the simulation, above.

12. Kedishen

Aug 28, 2012
    Some interesting ideas. Thanks for the input everybody.