car problems i think dieing computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
I drive an 01 Honda CR-v about 3 yrs ago I started having issues in like mid December when the SRS light came on. we have a code reader it said nothing of any real value, but shop said theirs said something about an issue with a sensor or activator in the left seatbelt had issue. they said replace something with a 2 ohm 2 watt resistor then I guess figured out that wouldn't work. took it to the community college they just reset the computer and fixed. then did again last yr near same time and same thing to fix. now it came on again in mid dec, but haven't got around to getting in to shop. i'm thinking the computer could be going on it. also the digital dash clock started going out off and on in the fall. not sure related, but seems like something electronic to me. battery is fairly new about 2010ish and starts ok, even in cold. so makes me think the computer may be buggy, from the way 3 times now it's come on about the same time of yr I suspect either something in the clock on the computer or something related to colder temps beginning this time of yr.
any ideas what could do this? temps shouldn't be a big deal unless really poor connection somewhere.

maxpower097

Joined Feb 20, 2009
Sounds like a short from a wire rubbing the last 12 years or so. Happening when its cold would mean the metals contracting and everything is getting tighter. So that may cause that wire to short. I'd look at the wiring diagrams from alldata or get em off the internet.

Ok when you say taking it to the shop? Do you mean the local mechanic or the dealership? i used to drive a 98 civic and had some issues with it my local mechanics said could not be fixed and I'd just have to listen to the rattle in my engine the rest of my life. My car hit the 100k mark and I took it in to the dealership for the maintnance for that milage which was all new fluids, belts, etc... I picked up the car and the car ran dead silent. No rattle at all. I asked them how they fixed the rattle when all these other mechanics told me its the heat sheild and is rivited or welded on so its unfixable. Well the dealership mechanic said it wasn't a problem, happens all the time they just bend the heat sheild edge with plyers and it contacts the frame and stops rattling.

My point about the dealership is they have more tools and computer access to the car then your local mechanic does plus they work with honda's all day and night. If its something no one can figure out or somethign unique take it to the dealership and see what they say, cause chances are they've seen it before. That being said I'm lucky cause our dealership is notoriously good at service, so much so many people just bring their non honda cars their to fix and the price is always = or the same as everyone else thats supposed to be giving me a deal.

electronis whiz

Joined Jul 29, 2010
no dealer for 100+ mi. good thought about the wiring maybe shorting, but know very little about cars. also expect be hard to doo anything because it's design everything is pretty tight. expect to only get few more yrs out of it so probably just keep resetting it. till it dies.

Status
Not open for further replies.